Tuesday, October 13, 2009

you fill my heart with gladness

I've stayed up too late, which is going to impinge on the length of this post (which will probably make you happy, fickle reader!) Today was one of those "I hate California" days, mostly because people here are incapable of driving in the rain, and the infrastructure can't handle 2-4" of rain in one day, which meant floods on the city streets, floods on the onramps, and endless accidents. Luckily I dragged myself out of bed and out the door by 6:45, so my trip south only took an hour; the people who left the city at 7:30 reported commutes of 2+ hours. I also left work early to beat the evening rush hour, which was a good move; if I had had to sit in traffic behind a bunch of people who think that a little rain is like an apocalypse, I probably would have stabbed myself in the face.

Work was fine today; I had lunch with Gyre and Lizzie, which was v. nice. I also got quite a bit of work done; this whole not-so-many-meetings thing is wonderful, even if my new boss tends to send me 5-10 emails between eight and ten p.m. I also took a brief nap tonight, and read part of one of my favorite comfort books ("Sunshine" by Robin McKinley), and ate the delicious takeout from Whole Foods that Adit brought home for me and Priyanka (he brought it mostly for Priyanka, who clearly has some terrible form of the flu, but he did buy me some chicken tortilla soup that he and Priyanka, being good vegetarians, had no intention of eating). So all in all, it was a good day -- but now I must go to bed, since I have an 8am meeting that I can't be late for. Goodnight!

No comments: