Sunday, November 08, 2009

it always feels like somebody's watching me

I can't tell whether to be thrilled or annoyed with how much I accomplished today. All in all, I think I'm leaning towards the thrilled side; I finally took care of a lot of paperwork and organizational tasks that I had been putting off, so I can see the entirety of my desk surface (other than the parts covered by my permanent mementos) for the first time in weeks. I also windexed the glass top of the desk and file cabinet, swiffered the whole apartment, did dishes, and cooked for both lunch and dinner (although cooking is used loosely for lunch -- I toasted some pita and cut up half a cucumber and a tomato to eat with hummus). I had my usual hour-long call with my parents, who seemed to be doing well; I got the latest updates on the wildlife in the area (including a bull who escaped from someone a couple of miles away a week or two ago and has been hiding out in the back of our property), and I got to vent about my writing. I finally critiqued another writer's first twenty-five pages that she had sent me because she had won a critique from me on the romance blog that I'm a part of, and I sent an email back to my agent about my ideas for my next book. Then, I wrote a review for tomorrow, and now I'm going to go to bed.

So yes, it looks like I got a lot done. However, I haven't written in three days, and I think I'm changing my focus; rather than trying to make fast progress so that I can enter the Golden Heart again, I'm going to go back and rewrite the beginning, and make a bit slower progress so that I can feel better about the overall first draft. That doesn't make me feel entirely good about it, since I was rather enamored with the idea of finishing a book in twenty days, but I'm trying to focus on the long term.

Okay, it's bedtime!

No comments: