Tuesday, November 24, 2009

unaware that i'm tearing you asunder

I slept in too late today, but other than that, things were totally lovely (and likely utterly uninteresting for my readers). The bulk of my productivity was devoted to attempting to recreate my grandmother's dinner rolls; this involved mixing up the dough, letting it rise for two hours, and then forming the rolls. Sounds easy, right? And it was easy -- but it was time-consuming, since the rolls are shaped like three-leaf clovers, which means that each roll requires you to make three small balls of dough and put them together into a muffin tin. Also, we quite disconcertingly discovered weevils in the brand-new flour; luckily, my father spotted them before I added any to the mix, so we were saved, but it was still quite odd. But, the verdict was that the rolls were delicious -- they didn't look quite like my grandmother's for reasons that I can't determine, but I'm going to make another batch tomorrow, so we'll see if I can improve the rolls' aesthetics without diminishing their taste.

At some point this afternoon, I took another bubble bath; I didn't fall asleep in this one, which is a sign that I might be more relaxed and well-rested than I was yesterday. I also got a delightful call from Katie; even though I know that she has my cellphone number programmed into her phone, she loves to call me on my home phone number (which she knows from back in the day when we all only had landlines and we used to call each other to dissect the latest episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger" even though we had just seen each other at school and work). My mom made an amazing supper; she made roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy, and I followed my brother's lead for once and put the meat, potatoes and gravy on top of a slice of Wonder bread. It was the first hot beef sandwich that I've had in years, and it was better than any other hot beef sandwich I've ever had. After that deliciousness, I watched "NCIS", "NCIS: Los Angeles", and "The Good Wife". I like "NCIS", although I don't regularly watch much tv, but the new LA version was also quite good (and was featured in a story by one of our local news reporters tonight, which is why the show's writers used Des Moines as the location of a previous killing). I was also v. intrigued by "The Good Wife" -- I like Chris Noth (even though my father took issue with that statement and said that he looks 'scummy'), and tonight's episode was great.

Now, though, even though it's before midnight in Iowa, I'm going to go to bed; I would like to read some of my book about British theatre tomorrow, and I'm going to make another batch of rolls, so sleep is a good idea. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gram says your rolls look pretty good. She just says that for your first efforts you
made smaller balls so your rolls were smaller but you had more of them. She really sounded like a teacher proud about the efforts of a star pupil.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Slater

Anonymous said...

The man is beautiful, the character is scummy.