Sunday, November 22, 2009

the universe is shaped exactly like the earth

I'm falling asleep over my keyboard, so it's probably a sign that I should go to bed. Luckily I don't have to commute this week, other than to walk upstairs for more tea or to play board games, and so I'm quite a happy camper.

Today was good, albeit exhausting; I successfully woke up at 4:15, showered, finished packing, went to the airport, and made it on my seven a.m. flight to Denver. I had a two-hour layover in Denver, which I filled with nachos and two margaritas -- I was in a v. happy place after the second margarita, but I slept it off on the flight to Des Moines. Upon arrival in Des Moines, there was much rejoicing by my parents and somewhat more subdued rejoicing from my brother. I heart siblings.

We went to Aunt Becky's after the airport for an early dinner, and it was quite surreal to see the scandalous fiance (now Uncle Brian) sitting around like he owned the place (which, apparently, he now might). Uncle Mark, Aunt Kathy and Andrew (aka Drewbaby) all came over as well, so Thanksgiving basically came a bit early this year. We had a delicious midwestern dinner (bbq beef sandwiches, homemade potato salad, and chocolate cake with 'lick-um', which is some weird cake topper that only our family talks about). Then, we spent some quality time tying tinsel into each other's hair; I know it costs an exorbitant $5 a strand at Stanford, but after my brother pointed out my approximate hourly wage, me doing some torturous contortions to be able to tie one painstaking tinsel after another is probably a financial loss. So Aunt B put some blue ones in, which look good, but I think I'll get some more stuff in time for the holidays. Now, though, I'm super tired, so it's time for bed!

No comments: