Thursday, December 31, 2009

i won't let you fall

This will hopefully be quick; I once again stayed up too late tonight. This vacation has confirmed to me that, left to my own devices, my 'natural' day would be 11am to 3am; instead, due to the demands of my job + the ugly commute, my day is currently 6am to 10pm. However, even if this is the cycle that my body seems to like the best, there is something to be said for getting more than six or seven hours of daylight during the winter, so perhaps the schedule that I'm forced to adhere to isn't all that bad. If I ever do become a writer full-time, though, I will need to set a schedule and stick to it (and possibly block my computer from being able to access Wikipedia, since it's the bane of my productive existence).

I woke up today around eleven, and actually accomplished some things -- for instance, I spent ten whole minutes printing out a UPS label and packing up a box to send to myself in California. This was not difficult since I was just taping up the original box that the item came in; as mentioned before, my parents got me a great bed tray that I've had my eye on for some time, but it will likely be safer traveling in its box instead of in my luggage. Then, I spent a substantial amount of time off and on throughout the afternoon, evening, and night doing Christmas cards; I'm now done with all of them except the couple dozen that I intend to hand out at work when I get back, but the ones that are going in the mail are signed, sealed and stamped (unless I'm missing the person's address). Licking 45 envelopes did v. little good for my tongue or my stomach, but other than that, I'm pleased that I actually got my cards out this year. Yay.

My mom made an excellent supper tonight, and my grandmother came out to share in it -- prime rib with baked potatoes and green beans. The prime rib was outstanding, and I adore baked potatoes, so it was all delightful. She also made this date crunch dessert that she loves (in fact, she wouldn't deny that she loves date crunch more than my father, which is telling) and only makes once a year, so that was all nice as well. After Gram left, I worked on cards while watching some fine CBS programming; I'm about to go back to the land where I don't watch that much tv, so this has been a nice tv-filled interlude.

Unfortunately, that interlude is rapidly coming to a close; I leave on Friday afternoon to go back to the evil city, which means I should probably pack tomorrow. I'm not ready to go back yet, which says something considering that after spending a week straight without leaving the house I should be willing to go anywhere else at all -- but no, I'm not ready. Hopefully I get ready before I have to go back to work, or next week could be brutal.

On that despairing note, it's time for bed -- goodnight!

No comments: