Sunday, December 27, 2009

i'm gonna try with all my might to make this storyline come true

I had another v. lazy day in Iowa; I didn't get out of bed until 11:30, and generally milled about and talked to my parents until almost three p.m. The fact that neither of them had changed out of their pajamas made me feel better about my sloth; and so I had a series of entertaining conversations with my mom and dad. I took a bubble bath, made myself up, and then went back upstairs, where the four of us ended up playing a couple of games of hearts. Michael abandoned us after that, and we ate leftovers for supper before watching the next two segments of "John Adams". I found these segments substantially less interesting than the ones we watched last night -- these two segments covered Adams's experience in Europe during and shortly after the Revolution, first in France, then in Holland and eventually as the United States's first ambassador to England, before he returned to the US and was elected as Washington's vice-president. It became clear to me as I was watching that I would rather be watching a documentary of the entire Revolutionary War, since last night's segments were captivating but I had much less interest in Adams's arguments with the Dutch for loans to the new American state. But, we shall hopefully persevere, and I expect that we'll watch the rest of the miniseries over the next few nights.

We finished watching around 10:30pm, and I spent the last couple of hours on one of those long odysseys through Wikipedia to brush up my knowledge of the Founding Fathers. I almost got sucked into watching some stupid show on latenight tv called "Legend of the Seeker" or "Seeker of Legends" or some such nonsense (it looked like a low-budget "Lord of the Rings"-meets-"Stargate", which is theoretically right up my alley, but the acting was below even my lamentably-low standards). So instead, I think I'll go to bed -- we discussed playing a game of Rail Baron tomorrow, but if we do, we want to start before noon so that we can finish it in one sitting, and that requires me getting some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: