Tuesday, January 19, 2010

i won't stop until that boy is mine

I didn't realize that it had gotten so late, and now I'm not going to get nearly enough sleep before getting up for work tomorrow. In usual procrastinatory style, I put off the writing and reading exercises for my fiction class until tonight (class is tomorrow night), and so I spent the last five hours reading part of "A Mercy" by Toni Morrison, researching migrant farmworkers in the 50s, and writing a 2-3 page scene between two migrant brothers who are arguing about how they are going to pay off their debts. I struggled with this story because I don't really have that much interest in the 1950s or migrant farmworkers from a fiction standpoint, but I at least have a rough draft, and so I will get up tomorrow and finish it before work.

The rest of the day was lovely, although I didn't get up early enough to accomplish a lot. I spent a couple of quality hours eating a sandwich and plotting Madeleine and Ferguson's story at Duboce Park Cafe, and continued working on the plot while drinking chai at home and doing a load of laundry. Then, I went to the visa outsourcing place to pick up my passport, and was thrilled that it was done and approved, and so I now have a visa valid for one year and multiple entries to India. This means that my trip with my dad can now go on unhindered, which is a huge relief since we leave two weeks from tonight! I made a quick stop at the Gap to buy a new pair of jeans, then came home, ate my overpriced version of a peasant meal (bread, cheese and fruit, where the bread is a fresh-baked baguette, the cheese is some stinky soft brie-style cheese, and the fruit is dates), and worked on the assignments for class until now.

Sadly, it's after midnight, which means I really, really need to go to bed. After a three-day weekend, going back to work is even harder, particularly since it's raining here for the next two weeks, which will put a serious damper on my mood. I will just have to write a lot to compensate -- and if I'm going to do that, I need to sleep, so goodnight!

No comments: