Saturday, February 27, 2010

earth to matilda! i was at a day spa! d-a-i-y-e!

I have had an utterly fabulous day, starting with some deep deep relaxation, continuing through a late dinner with John and Jessica, and ending with some intense (albeit likely fleeting) hatred for Canadian short track skaters (although nothing rivaling the South Korean citizen who threatened to blow up the Australian embassy after an Australian ref DQ'd a SKorean skater earlier this week). As I believe I mentioned last night, the big boss gave me the day off today, and I decided to use the spa gift card that she gave me after the last conference I planned for her. This turned out to be one of the best decisions that I've made in awhile, far eclipsing any successful decisions I made while planning the conference itself -- I haven't been this relaxed in weeks, if not months, and I'm going to try to carry it through the weekend even though I need to prepare my taxes, finally unpack from my India trip, clean the apartment, and do a hundred other little things (must stop thinking of it before I lose my relaxation...)

The spa was fantastic. Growing up, I never expected that I would be a spa person -- in fact, I probably didn't know what a spa person was, since I mostly read historical fiction in which the 'spa people' were going to Bath and drinking sulferous water rather than getting fancy peels and masques, and there were certainly no spas or spa people in my hometown. And, I may still not be a spa person; I have a lot of trouble relaxing, either because my mind is running too white-hot to shut down, or because my muscles are so tense that it takes a bruising amount of pressure to unknot them. I also don't always submit easily to the tender ministrations of massage therapists; I think I spend the first twenty minutes of any massage subconsciously fighting the masseuse until I force myself to give in. But, it was worth it to force myself today -- I got a massage, a facial, a manicure, and a pedicure, all of which I needed (if you can say that you 'need' to pay someone to scrub away your callouses or cleanse your skin). I then sat in the 'quiet room' and read for half an hour while my nails dried, then showered and did my hair and makeup at the spa's fancy vanities. And the spa itself (Burke Williams in the Westfield in downtown SF) was much nicer than many I've been to; even though it's in a mall, right next to a movie theatre, it doesn't feel like that at all when you're inside, and the people who gave me my treatments were all quite talented.

Post-spa, I was starving since I hadn't really had lunch, so I had a late lunch (if 4pm is still lunch?) and a glass of wine at the cafe in Nordstrom. Then, I took the muni home (slightly less relaxing, although it wasn't apocalyptically raining like I thought it would be), took a nap, talked to Adit, and watched some Olympics before having a late dinner around 9:30pm with John and Jess. I was supposed to do the Olympic Rings Cakes tonight, but I cancelled due to my desire to be a sloth, but John and Jess had planned to come to this and were already in San Francisco for a recital, so we decided to meet up. It was lovely to see them; I hadn't seen John since the pizza extravaganza with Claude the Fraud and others at Gialina back in December, and I can't remember when I last saw Jess (maybe the night I inadvertently stayed over at their place?). We caught up for a v. long time and hatched some plans before they dropped me off around 12:30am -- and then I promptly picked back up where I had left off with the Olympics, watching Apolo's last two races. I may officially hate Canada now -- but I also thought that Apolo could have been a bit more graceful and not explicitly said that the ref ruled against him on something because the ref was Canadian, so whatever.

And now, after a perfect day, I shall go to bed. Tomorrow can't rival this, but at least I can look at my feet again without thinking they look like little miniature troll feet, so that's a positive step. Goodnight!javascript:void(0)

No comments: