Monday, February 15, 2010

in the time of vikings and dragons

I'm pretty much exhausted...we landed in San Francisco at 9:30am, which was a little early, but we promptly ran into two issues: my bag took almost forty minutes to unload, and we found out that my father's flight to Des Moines was cancelled. After dragging our stuff to the domestic terminal, he ended up rebooking himself on a flight for early tomorrow morning, and so we spent the day hanging out at my apartment. I warned him that all we were going to do was watch the Olympics, and I followed through on my threat/promise; other than doing a load of laundry, showering, running to the grocery store for essentials, and picking up pizza around seven p.m., I watched Olympics all day long. It was glorious; I got to see the men's biathlon, some Nordic combined, speed skating, and the pairs' short program.

Vidya came over around seven p.m. to watch with us, and so we all partook of Little Star pizza while watching the evening coverage. I have to keep being careful about my internet usage during the coverage; because it's tape-delayed on the west coast, I can't do any real-time research on athletes/facts while watching events or I will accidentally find out what happened in that event. I was reminded of this when looking up the Australian freestyle skier who had made a fortune doing shady malware internet scams, and discovered that he had gotten silver -- it didn't tell me who got gold, but took a way just a bit of the enjoyment/tension of the race. So, I will be careful from now on, which means that the next couple of weeks will have to be a virtual media blackout.

But I can check the internet after the evening coverage...and you should check out this gem that I found of Johnny Weir skating to Lady GaGa's "Poker Face":



I love all that is ridiculous, and this is pretty much the height of it. That, plus the silly things the commentators say throughout the events, made for a v. pleasant day, and I'm looking forward to almost two weeks of fun. Now, though, I should sleep for a few hours before getting up to take my dad to the airport...goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ridic! Aside from those two stale little jumps, that routine looks like how I dance to GaGa at da club! I would rather see an ice rendition of "put a ring on it" but maybe he's got that up his sleeve. In the meantime, I will dream of the animal magnetism of Elvis Stojko....
Glad you're back, post pictures!
K

Sara said...

I will post pics sometime soon...and I will also dream of Elvis Stojko tonight. He was much too short for you, my dear!