Saturday, February 06, 2010

living the dream

We've arrived India, after a full day running around Singapore and a four-hour flight to Hyderabad tonight. We had breakfast in the hotel in Singapore this morning before checking out, and then we took a taxi down to one of the quays on the Singapore River. We walked along the riverfront for awhile, and eventually decided to take an hour-long boat tour of the river. After the river tour, we stopped in at the Asian Civilisations Museum, which was quite nice; the museum is very well done, and while we skipped the India and China rooms, the Southeast Asian rooms were interesting and worth a visit.

After the museum, we went back upriver in search of the chilli crab place that my friend Sarah recommended. It was totally empty, so we went next door to Boomerang, where we had awesome prawns and I had one of the better mojitos I've ever had. Then, we went back to the chilli crab place (Red House) and had a big bowl of chilli crab. I thought it was delicious, but I think it was too spicy for Dad's tastes, and the crab was quite a bit of effort for relatively little meat.

We then proceeded back to the hotel, where we picked up our bags and went to the airport. The travel process was perfectly smooth, and they definitely encourage you to shop; we ended up buying an unlocked phone since my old unlocked phone has finally lost its life, and then I couldn't help myself and bought an awesome pair of sunglasses. Then we got on the plane, flew to India, got off the plane, and discovered that the new Hyderabad airport is amazingly wonderful, particularly in comparison to the dump that I flew into in 2005. Jaffer (one of my favorite drivers from my earlier stint in Hyderabad) picked us up and brought us back to the hotel, where we're getting settled in.

And now, it's 2:20am in Hyderabad, 4:50am in Singapore and 12:50pm in California, so I should really go to bed. I will post pictures sometime soon -- goodnight!

No comments: