Tuesday, February 16, 2010

love in the time of sequins

I had a very lazy day today, doing absolutely none of the things I should have and absolutely all of the things I wanted to. The day started off v. early, since I woke up a little before five a.m. to take my father to the airport. I successfully saw him through check-in and to the security line, where we parted ways after our two-week adventure with plans to take another trip at some point in the future. He continued on his journey (and made it home safely); I came home, crawled into bed, and slept until after 1pm.

I finally woke up, showered, and then met up with Vidya (aka Vidius Chandicus) for a v. late lunch. It was a gorgeous day in San Francisco, and so while I should have stayed in and focused on writing, unpacking, working, etc., I instead met up with her in Hayes Valley, where we had burgers (well, I had a burger and she had a tofu burger) at Flipper's, whose key amenities were the large outdoor patio and the wonderfully crazy Russian waitress who had the makeup styling of a figure skater and kept saying 'Ta-da!' whenever she brought something to our table. So we sat there and enjoyed a glass of wine with our food and general people-watching amusement for awhile, and then decided to walk into the Mission and grab coffee at Four Barrel coffee. That place was a completely different scene than Flipper's, and perhaps one of the biggest scenes I've seen in awhile; it was completely awash in hipsters, with their plaids, their skinny jeans, their inexplicably layered, mismatched leggings + skirts + dresses + cardigans + scarves + gloves + messy hair, etc. It was all much too much, although I did enjoy the people-watching tremendously, and the coffee and the space were quite nice.

After two such fabulous activities, Vidya and I walked back to my place and I gave her a ride home. I then came back here, and Adit and I were as ships passing in the night, since he had been here all afternoon and left as soon as I got home to have dinner. I settled in thinking that I would write for an hour (since I have an exercise due for class tomorrow night that I haven't started), but instead I procrastinated by watching the end of 'American Pie 2' and the end of 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' before the evening's Olympics coverage started. I then watched it all -- the snowboarding, the color commentary pieces, the men's downhill (in which I was reminded of the 2006 Bode Miller fiasco), the medal ceremony for Alexandre Bilodeau (during which I cried), and finally the pairs' figure skating. It was all quite lovely, and made for a good end to a wonderful day. It also made me want to wear a lot of sequins -- the German skater, while lovely, looked like a stripper about to come out of a wedding cake, and her outfit was by no means the most sparkly. And so I can't wait to see what costume Johnny Weir skates in tomorrow night -- oh, the ecstasy.

And now, even though I'm wide awake and would rather stay up and watch the short-track coverage that they had to postpone to latenight due to a technical delay while they fixed the ice, I'm going to force myself to go to bed; I have a lot of work to do tomorrow so that I can leave early for class, and then I have to come home and watch the men's short program tomorrow night. Goodnight!

No comments: