Wednesday, February 03, 2010

singapore slog

I want to be sitting at the Raffles Hotel, tourist trap though it is, drinking Singapore slings -- instead, I'm sitting in the lobby of my more business-y hotel, having just wrapped up a two-hour video conference with the big boss's staff. Note that the call was midnight to two a.m. Singapore time. So, while I could recount all the strange and wondrous things that my dad and I saw, I shall not, partially because we didn't see all that many things today given that we stupidly fell asleep for about four hours after checking in at 2pm, and partially because I'm too surly to blog since I have to get up and go into the office tomorrow morning.

However, we had a good trip over the ocean; the flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong was 14+ hours, most of which I spent sleeping with my sleep mask and flight pillow. I did watch "Inglorious Basterds", which I had really wanted to see when it was in theatres -- my verdict was that there were parts that were slow, but taken as a whole I really liked it and thought there was some fine acting (no wonder the SS colonel is getting all sorts of acting nominations this season). Then, we sat in Hong Kong for a couple of hours, where we had breakfast while watching the fog and mist clear over the sea beyond the airport. The flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was relatively short (three hours feels like nothing compared to fourteen); I stupidly watched part of "Love Happens" with Aaron Eckhart and Jennifer Aniston because I like him, but it was quite possibly the worst, most boring movie I've seen in my entire life. So I switched over and watched the end of "Inglorious Basterds" again, which was to be preferred.

As I said, we slept after checking into our hotel, but then woke up around seven p.m. and dragged ourselves out of the hotel in search of food. We walked through Chinatown and had dinner on Smith Street (which has stalls and open-air seating, although we ate inside), and it was quite tasty. Then we came back, I slept for an hour, and then I came down to the lobby to do my call.

Now my battery is dying and I'm dying with it, so I'm off to bed. I will post more interesting things in the v. near future!

No comments: