Saturday, March 06, 2010

i tried to put it into words, but the words just sound like mistakes

I had a lovely, surprisingly laid-back day, and I'm gearing up for a weekend of writing. I worked from home this morning (which meant that I got to sleep later than I usually do on a weekday, yay), and then drove down to the glorious south bay for a previously-scheduled lunch with the Heathers (Heather, of Heather&Salim, who was in India with me; and the Heather who was one of my managers, along with Pete and Lisa, last year when we used to do margaritas and pie). Heather, Heather and I had a margaritas and pie of our own, escaping campus for a rare off-campus lunch at Celia's in Palo Alto. We didn't have margaritas (alas), but we did have a great deal of fun catching up, and we've already calendared the next one.

After I got back from lunch, I slogged for a few hours and wrapped up the final little things that I need to do before the weekend. I left around 4:30 and went to Starbucks, where I wrote for forty-five minutes until my friend Natasha met me there for an extended coffee break. Amazingly, I hadn't seen her since before I went to India, and so we had a ton to catch up on. When she left to meet up with her husband (so weird to call Chris someone's husband!) for dinner, I drove back to the city of sin, where I happened to catch Adit in the apartment for half an hour of conversation and insult-trading. He went out for dinner/parties, and I stayed in with the initial goal of writing -- but instead looked at apartments and debated my options. I'm really, really torn about everything related to finding a new place to live; I want someplace that I could stay in for awhile, since I'm tired of moving every year, but I am so torn between living in the city and moving back to the south bay. When the city is lovely, it is beyond lovely, and I have had so many good times and grand memories from my time up here. However, when I think of the 10+ hours a week that I spend commuting, I begin to doubt that I could keep doing that for several years. But, if I were to leave my company or find a role in the San Francisco office, I would definitely want to be up here. But, the amenities that I want (parking, laundry, etc.) are easier to find more cheaply in the south bay. But, the apartments are primarily soulless and have none of the quaint period details of many apartments in the city. But, the charming apartments in the city usually don't have the sleek finishes that I admire. And then add to it that the area that I considered moving to (Noe Valley) would only help my commute if I lived in the less interesting part of Noe that is several v. steep hills away from the bustling activity around 24th street, and I'm just confused.

So yeah, I'm going back and forth and I don't know how I'm going to decide. I saw an utterly awesome loft on Craigslist tonight that meets all my requirements and looks amazing, but it's in a weird neighborhood (technically inner Mission, a block away from Atlas Cafe) that I've only ever been to during the day, and I would imagine it gets strange (not necessarily dangerous, but definitely strange) at night. And, it would be a bitch to get from there to the city office, thus eliminating the appeal of working in the city.

I need to stop thinking about it, since I likely won't move for a couple of months anyway. And now that I've thoroughly bored you with my move thought-process, it's time for bed!

No comments: