Saturday, March 20, 2010

we'll turn this better thing to the best

The weather has been absolutely gorgeous in the bay area this week, and it has completely lifted my mood. Perhaps I should consider moving someplace that is sunny year-round (not that California is too shabby on the sunshine, but it was a relatively rainy winter). Today, it was in the high seventies in the south bay, rendering my office almost too hot as I slogged through the afternoon hours. I took a break to have lunch with Mahin, which was fun as usual; my only other meeting was with Shawn, whom I had seen in Singapore a few weeks ago, and it was good to see her again so soon. This allowed me to get quite a bit of stuff done this afternoon, even if I wanted to leave at three instead of staying until five...

But I successfully left at five to have dinner with Heather (aka dear respected madam) and Salim at Vive Sol, which is Chris Boyd's favorite Mexican restaurant. I hadn't been there since Chris Boyd was here last spring, but I don't know why I don't go there more often; my margarita was deliciously strong, the enchiladas were good, and they have great salsa (and a better decor than Fiesta del Mar, much as I love that place). Then again, Fiesta del Mar is about five minutes from my office, so that explains it (even though I rarely go there now that Terry and Subz have both moved away). The three of us had a lovely time catching up (or rather, Heather and I talked about work while Salim gazed about the place and completely ignored us), and then I went back to their apartment to check it out and drop the 'bombshell' on them that Jesse James apparently cheated on Sandra Bullock with some incredibly skanky woman named Michelle "Bombshell" McGee. I mean, seriously?!

After we looked at pictures of that train wreck, I drove back to the city of sin and rendezvoused with Vidya (after taking a twenty minute nap while waiting for her to come over). She wanted me to finally see "In the Loop", so we walked over to Safeway, but they didn't have it. This was v. sad; we should have signed up for a Blockbuster card and rented it there, but at the time it seemed like too much effort. In retrospect, it would have saved us time, because the movie we ended up watching on on-demand turned out to be a surprisingly long two and a half hours. If I had realized it was that long, I would have just had us watch "Inglorious Basterds", even though I saw it on the plane -- but what's done is done.

We ended up watching "Funny People"; the title was half accurate (hint: there were people in the movie). It starred Adam Sandler as a famous comedian who is dying, and Seth Rogan as a wannabe comedian who somehow becomes Sandler's assistant. At 2.5 hours, it felt like two separate movies; there was a point halfway into the movie where I thought we were going into the closing ten minutes, and then it suddenly took a left turn and felt like it started over. The part that bothered me the most was that at some point, one character is choosing between Adam Sandler and Eric Bana. Given that she had just said that the Eric Bana character's behavior was exactly like the Adam Sandler character's behavior...why in the hell would you even debate this issue?! Hot, muscular Eric Bana, or scrawny, depressed Adam Sandler? Eric Bana even has a delicious Aussie accent. This is clearly no contest, but she wasted an hour of my life trying to decide, and the choice ultimately came down to a song from the musical "Cats", which was inexplicable to me because clearly the choice should have come down to Eric Bana's pectorals.

Anyway, despite that, it was good to see Vidya, and nice to have a lowkey but funfilled Friday night. And now, I desperately need to get to sleep; writing all weekend starts tomorrow morning, so please expect me to go into deep hermit mode. Goodnight!

No comments: