Wednesday, April 28, 2010

once upon a time in mexico

Happy 1700th post!

I arrived safely in Cancun and have yet to be killed in any drug-related crossfire (as expected; not only is Cancun thousands of miles from the border violence, but this resort is a gated property within a gated community, which does nothing for getting a feel for Mexico but everything for feeling completely removed from the cares of the world). The worst thing that has happened so far is that I realized that I should have figured out how to get some of my own moisturizer and facewash into my little quarter-sized baggie (nearly impossible, given that I needed to bring other items and refused to check luggage just so I could have some moisturizer). So, I will have to go find a store that doesn't charge $18 for sunscreen like the hotel shop (which I might have paid for moisturizer, but they didn't have any I liked).

But if that's the worst thing, I'll take it. Actually, the worst thing was that the sun didn't shine the entire afternoon, and it was raining when we landed; since I didn't get to the hotel until almost 5pm, this really didn't matter, but hopefully it clears up tomorrow. A close second to the worst thing was having to get up at four a.m. to go to the airport (although this was worse for Adit, since he didn't have a trip to look forward to, and instead just had to turn around and go back to our friends' house to try to sleep for another hour or two).

On the whole, though, the trip was uneventful, the driver who brought me from the airport to the hotel was really nice, and the resort seems to be great. The room is lovely (I'll take pictures if I get ambitious), dinner was good, and they mix some truly excellent margaritas (which is all anyone really cares about). I had dinner in one of the restaurants overlooking the sea, so even though it was still overcast as the sun set, the choppy waves were v. nice to look at.

V. briefly on yesterday, since I basically said nothing last night; I got up at 6:00am so that I could make it to the far reaches of San Jose for a dentist appointment by 8:10am (dropping Adit off on the way, making two unnecessarily early mornings in a row for him). I made it to the dentist, and once again had no cavities (I haven't had one since early high school days, despite drinking more diet coke than is healthy for any human being); the dentist asked me where I grew up, I said "Iowa", and he said "that explains it." I then asked whether Iowa explains my lack of cavities, or the unsightly black fillings for the only two cavities I've ever had, and he said "both". After that enlightening conversation, I went to work and slogged nonstop until 7:20pm (which was the time when I should have picked Adit up - as you can guess, I was late), and just barely managed to finish all the critical stuff before vacation. Adit and I then had dinner with Anton, Amanda, and their sister-in-law who was visiting from out of town (and works for John Deere in Davenport, incidentally); we went to some Japanese fusion place in Cupertino where you can't wear shoes in the restaurant and Adit could eat virtually nothing, so that was fun (I make it sound worse than it was -- some of the stuff was delicious, but I thought it was just a bit hit-or-miss).

And now, after that recap, I'm going to go to bed; as you can probably tell from the length of this post, I brought my laptop with me, but I need to make a concerted effort not to use it during the day unless I'm actively writing on it. Wish me luck with that (I'm like Lindsay Lohan in that regard, only replace a massive addiction to cocaine and a desperate need for attention with "the interent" and "information" respectively). Goodnight!

No comments: