Wednesday, May 19, 2010

fish-induced coughing

I've had this wracking cough for a couple of days now -- no other real symptoms (my nose isn't even plugged up), perhaps just a slight headache, but a cough that won't quit. Perhaps the fish that I dug out after five years in storage had some form of toxin that has now embedded itself in my lungs?

In other news, I'm in London; the cough meant that I only slept for a couple of hours on the plane, so I'm super tired despite the nap that I took this afternoon. The flight was uneventful (we landed early), and I made it through immigration/customs, onto a train to London, onto the Tube to Victoria Station, and around the corner (well, around a couple of wrong corners before finding the right one) to my hotel in less than ninety minutes, which wasn't bad at all. My hotel is super cute -- it's v. close to Buckingham Palace, and has this sort of old-fashioned English country house vibe going (the floors creak under the heavily-patterned carpet, and the walls, drapes, bedspread, and headboard are all upholstered/made out of the same tweedy brown striped material). But the bathroom is killer (not in Adit's 'assplosion' kind of way -- in the sense that it's spacious and has nice toiletries), and there's more room than one would expect of a London hotel room.

When I got to the room, I promptly and unfortunately slept for two hours, then forced myself to wake up, shower, and go downstairs for afternoon tea. The tea was delightful; they had little finger sandwiches (which I ordered again from room service an hour ago), and their scones and clotted cream were ridiculously good. After tea, I walked over to Knightsbridge (through Hyde Park Corner, home to several monuments including the Australian War Memorial that I loved on my last trip, and past the gates to Hyde Park) and browsed around several shops looking for a jacket. I don't need a jacket here, but I'm reconsidering the folly that led to me sending my coat back to California with John and Jess. However, I didn't find a coat; my first stop was Harrod's, which, while delightful to browse through (including the weird memorial to Princess Di and Dodi al-Fayed in the basement), was about 5x more expensive than I was willing to pay for a coat. I went through several more shops, but coats are all but out of season here, and so I just walked away with a new nightgown from Monsoon.

I made it back to the hotel a little after seven, and I've been generally slogging since then (with a substantial break to eat finger sandwiches, drink tea, and catch up on my favorite gossip blog). And now, it's time for bed; I have to get out of bed in time to get to the London office for the 8:30am start of the big boss's all-day staff retreat, and having some tea beforehand is mandatory for my health (particularly since tea seems to quiet the fish beast for a few minutes). Goodnight!

But one final, v. important note before I sign off: happy birthday to Uncle Mark! You may know him as the commenter who often leaves genealogical-themed comments on the blog, but I know him as so much more. Happy birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes.
If you happen to receive any Boy Scout centennial 50p coins please bring them home. You need not go out of your way looking for them. They have the Scout fleur-de-lis on the tails side.

Uncle Mark