Thursday, May 13, 2010

girl i gotta watch my back, 'cause i'm not just anybody

This is a four-minute post, not because I don't have time to write, but because I have absolutely nothing of interest to share. The argument could be made that I have nothing of interest to share about 90% of the time, but if you're still reading this blog, you've come to terms with it and persevered in spite of it, so I'm not going to apologize.

I woke up around 7:30 and successfully packed, finished things up around the house, and got out the door in time for the taxi to the airport. The only fly in the ointment was that my brand new trash can from Palo Alto utilities is going to smell like dog shit for the rest of its life; I took the garbage out last night hoping that the garbage collectors would come before my 9:15am departure (I was told I should have it out by six a.m.), but when the time came to leave, they still hadn't been there. I couldn't leave it sitting on the street for two and a half weeks, so I debated taking it into the garage rather than leaving it in the outdoor enclosure (where I figured raccoons might knock it over) -- but when I opened it to see that the garbage hadn't been taken, I discovered that some asshole had tossed a couple of baggies of dog shit into it. I'm sure they meant no harm, but there was nothing I could do -- I'll just have to spray something in there and hope the smell dissipates someday.

Anyway, I made it to the airport with a ridiculous amount of time to spare, and so I bought a couple of small things (travel-sized moisturizer and eye-makeup-remover pads) at Sephora, and then had scrambled eggs at a cafe in the terminal. My flight took off on time, and sadly I worked for the day job the entire flight -- it was wonderful to have wireless on the plane, but in some ways I miss the disconnectedness of my youth. The big boss ended up requesting something urgent, and so I sat on the floor of baggage claim for half an hour after we landed to wrap the thing up before finding the rental car shuttle, picking up the car, making a stop at Chipotle (I was starving and couldn't order food on the plane because the food-service screens in my row weren't working and there was no other way to pay for the items), and checking into the hotel.

I've spent the last ninety minutes or so wrapping up some more work stuff and retinseling my hair for the big event. And now, my four minutes are up, and I'm going to go to bed so that I can go into the city and sightsee a bit with Ritu before bringing her and Vidya back to the hotel. Tomorrow night, the festivities begin in earnest -- I will attempt to emerge from this weekend with my liver intact. Goodnight!

No comments: