Saturday, June 19, 2010

hey soul sister, ain't that mister mister on the radio

I was more lazy that I should have been today. I went to work as per usual, and I did work, but I took a lovely break to have a less-than-lovely lunch with Chandlord (to clarify, it was great to see her, but lunch was fairly bland and mismatched -- I had a slice of pizza that was inexplicably devoid of sauce, and some smoked salmon 'ceviche' that was basically just a pile of salmon). After Chandlord left, I spent a few more hours slogging, leaving the office around 5:30pm to go to Target.

Yes, Target was the most exciting part of my Friday night. I bought new towels, some hangers, an iron, and a drying rack, all of which I'm v. excited about (particularly the drying rack, since I seem to have an unerring knack for falling in love with and buying clothes that are line-dry-only). I grabbed a burrito on the way home from Target, since by the time I was done shopping I was too hungry to come home and cook. When I got home, I did a load of dishes in the dishwasher and washed another bunch of dishes by hand, and then sat down on the couch with the intention of writing...

...and procrastinated for almost three hours. I know, terrible. I read every news site I read, caught up on blogs in Google Reader, and generally messed around to no productive end. But, miracle of miracles, I managed to pull myself out of my procrastinatory spiral, and from 10:30 to 11:45, I wrote a little over 1000 words of zee romance novel (approximately four pages). It's not an awesome output, but it's 1000 words more than I had; if I wrote 1000 words per day for 90 days, I'd have a complete draft of a novel. As it is, I'm already 50,000 words in, so 1000 words a day would only require another month of writing. So, I'm pleased. Those 1000 words also finished off the scene that I was working on two nights ago so that I can move on, which is exciting, and I'm looking forward to writing more tomorrow.

However, tomorrow I also need to do laundry and keep trying to unpack, so we'll see how much writing I get done. But, at least 1000 words seems to be a good goal, so I will make a valiant effort. Now, though, I need to go to bed and try to force myself to fall asleep before one a.m., since I've been having trouble with that -- goodnight!

No comments: