Monday, June 14, 2010

out here the good girls die

Remember yesterday, when I thought that my anti-jetlag strategy had worked wonders? And that I was going to go to bed, get up early, and write? Ha.

Instead, I laid awake until almost 3:00am; around 1:00am, I even got out of bed and finished reading the rest of my manuscript, which failed to put me to sleep. Sometime around 3:00am, I dozed off...and sometime after 3:00am, the battery on my phone drained itself, and so my alarm didn't go off. Consequently, I awoke this morning to the sound of a woodpecker outside my window, and I was ready to kill it for waking me up before the alarm -- only to discover that it was after 10:00am. Oops. Since I was already late for work, I did some work from home for most of the day; I probably wouldn't have bothered to even go in, except I had ordered some shoes while I was traveling and I wanted to pick them up (verdict: I'm sending them back, so it's too bad I rallied to go into the office).

Once at the office, I stayed until about seven (no real feat, considering how late I was), and I'm all caught up on work emails from my trip. Then I grabbed a sandwich at Quiznos (the perfect antidote to a sushi-filled week), came home, and finally got around to watching Lady Gaga's "Alejandro" video (at my brother's behest -- you know that you're behind on your pop culture when a straight guy from Iowa is the one who tells you to watch a Lady Gaga video). It was utterly ridiculous, and after that I was absolutely useless; so, I wasted time on the internet, reading publishing blogs and the like, and now I need to try to sleep so that I can get a lot of stuff done tomorrow.

But, the only exciting thing that happened today is I finally ordered the furniture that I needed to make my place feel complete -- bookshelves, a kitchen table and chairs, and a bedframe. All are from Crate and Barrel, of course, since it's my favorite/only place to shop for such things; all are reasonably priced; and the shelves and bed are the same shelves and bed that I've been looking at for *years*, so I'm content that I'm going to be satisfied with my purchase. Crate and Barrel sent me a 10% off coupon when I moved into my new place (clearly they love me as much as I love them), which was about enough to cover tax and delivery. The furniture is coming next Friday, which means I have a week and a half to clean the place up so that the kitchen table can actually go in the kitchen (which is currently being used to store a bunch of boxes of crap). This is as good an incentive to unpack as any -- but right now, I'm going to go to bed, and attempt this whole 'getting up early and writing' thing again tomorrow.

For those of you with the same furniture fetish that I have, this is what I selected:

Shelves - Sloane leaning bookcases (for the wall by the main entryway)

Table - Trestle espresso drop-leaf table (with the advantage that it can be more compact if I move into a smaller place someday - seats 4-6)

Bed - Porto metal bed frame (I have no idea why, but I've always wanted a metal bed -- well, either a metal bed or a big canopied princess bed, and I'm not living in a big enough place to have a big princess bed -- and I've seriously been eyeing this one for years. I've always held off because bed frames aren't all that necessary, but it's a flat delivery fee for everything, and I figured that after seven years of living on my own, it was time to have a real bed)

No comments: