Monday, June 21, 2010

the space between your heart and mine is a space we'll fill with time

I just quoted Dave Matthews as my title and I had dinner at Chevy's tonight. Shoot me.

Despite my plea for euthanasia, I actually had a totally lovely day. I woke up at 8:45 to hang out with Felicia for half an hour before sending her on her merry way -- and got a call at 8:50 from Adit and Priyanka asking me to have brunch with them in the city at 10am. Seventy minutes' warning for a brunch that is forty-five minutes away is a little absurd, but thanks to the fact that I showered last night and did not feel the need to impress either of them, I was able to make it (by 10:20, but they showed up four minutes after me, so whatever). So I had tea with Felicia and wished her a fond farewell, hurriedly cleaned myself up, and drove to the evil city, where I met them at Serpentine (one of those faux-industrial places in a neighborhood called the Dogpatch). Parking was easy, which was all I really cared about since I've fully reverted to my "I hate driving to the city" suburban roots. The food was good (I had the aptly named "Meat, eggs, potatoes, toast", which had exactly those items and nothing else -- the eggs were perfect, the toast was good, I loved the potatoes, and thought the sausage was bad, so it all evened out). The coffee was good (fair-trade and organic, natch). And the company was good -- I'm convinced that Adit will be out here once a month anyway, but it was good to see Priyanka before she starts her residency and disappears for a few years.

After brunch, I drove straight back to the glorious south bay, where I collected four loads of laundry from my house and went to the laundromat. I have a washing machine and dryer in the garage, but it's so slow per load that four loads would have taken seven hours or so; instead, I spent precisely two hours doing laundry, and I was able to enjoy a Philz Coffee next door and write a scene of my romance novel while I waited. Then I came home, folded stuff, hung stuff, and left the rest of it in a big pile (the lack of light in my bedroom gives me little incentive to keep it organized -- I need to buy some lamps pronto). I then spent some quality time on the phone with my parents, who were in good form despite the fact that it's been raining for days and looks set to continue for another week. I thought about pointing out that they wouldn't have that problem if they moved to California, but I decided not to waste my breath.

I ended up driving halfway back to the city to have dinner with Vidya; I refused on principle to go all the way back to San Francisco a second time, and so we compromised on Foster City. Vidya wanted to go to a pizza place called Waterfront, but the wait for a table on the water (hence the name) was 45+ minutes. So, we instead went to the Chevy's next door, which had absolutely no wait for waterfront tables because the food is terrible. I mean, it's really bad, and given how much good Mexican food there is around here, it's pretty inexcusable that we went there. In fact, Vidya was picking at the remnants of her meal during the interminable wait for someone to bring us our bill, and I actually asked her to stop eating her food because it was upsetting me that she was continuing to eat the disaster that was our food. But, we had a good time and the setting was appropriately dismal for a lowkey dinner.

When I got home, I procrastinated by watching Food Network, and then finally did the two or three work-related things that I had to do this weekend. Ever since I got back from Japan, I've been shifted to sleeping after midnight instead of going to sleep at 10pm like the octogenarian I am; I need to get back to my old ways, but clearly I failed tonight as well. Sigh.

Happy fathers' day to all you fathers out there! Goodnight!

No comments: