Friday, July 30, 2010

caught in a bad romance

Today was another fabulous day, although I'm more pensive about my writing than I was yesterday. I had lunch with Eloisa James today, and it was utterly fantastic -- but it left me really questioning where I'm going with this plot, because she cut through to all the issues that I've been having with it and sort of covering up in my head. Mainly, Ferguson is not alpha enough. Oh, he's wonderful, and I adore him, but he's got a father who is still inconveniently alive, which means that his father has all the power, which means that he is kind of useless. I'm grossly generalizing here, but I see her point -- she actually suggested making Ferguson and his father younger and making his *father* the hero, because the father sounded more interesting. I'm not sure I could do that...but then again, who knows.

But, all in all she was fantastic to meet -- super friendly, super smart, and I respect and admire her greatly. So, I have a lot to think about. I also have a lot of work to do; I met with my agent later in the day, and promised her a book by October 1, which is only two months away -- so I need to get cracking. That means spending all of the next week writing as much as possible, then writing steadily and prolifically through to the end of September so that I can meet my deadline. I also desperately need to go to bed; I'm meeting with an editor tomorrow morning around 9am, and since I haven't woken up before nine a.m. since Wednesday, that's going to be a challenge.

You can read the recap of the day on zee romance novel (linking to another blog I wrote for my romance group today, since I couldn't bear to write three full blog posts about the same thing). Just one more day to go, and then I return to California and my enforced hermitage on Sunday. Goodnight!

No comments: