Tuesday, July 06, 2010

grounded

So I was all primed to get on a plane and get back to my regularly-scheduled life -- and then my flight from Des Moines to Denver was canceled. In retrospect I probably should have just gotten a hotel room in Des Moines or stayed with my aunt, but as my brother wasn't too far from Des Moines when I found out that the flight was canceled, he came back, picked me up, and shook me down for a dinner at Johnny's Italian Steakhouse before bringing me home. Since my new flight leaves Des Moines at six a.m., I'm only going to get four hours of sleep -- and since I have a ton of work that I should have done, I'm not going to get much sleep on the plane. C'est la vie, I guess.

The rest of the day was pretty good; I spent some quality time with my mom, took care of some essential grooming tasks (such as eyebrows and exfoliation), packed, had lunch, and then went up to Des Moines with my mom and brother to meet my dad at Perkins for pie before going to the airport. Dad had gone to Des Moines earlier for a meeting, which is why we didn't all go up together, but we had some time to say goodbye (or so we thought) over pie before going to the airport.

But now, I need to sleep so that I can get up and do it again (much quicker and surlier). Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For a six o'clock flight you were probably okay. But at seven there are many roads in south Iowa under water. I-35 is even closed at New Virginia. Rains of 3 to 5 inches an hour have moved across the area. Possible closing of I-80 between Colfax and Newton shortly.
Did you take some Iowa sweet corn home for your neighborhood raccoon? Slater.