Sunday, July 04, 2010

i guess i'll die another day

Today was a lovely day in the heartland, with a lot of delicious food and very little work to mar the experience. I rolled out of bed a little after eleven (after waking up at six a.m. and grasping for my eyemask to protect myself from the relentless morning sun streaming in through my east-facing windows) and went upstairs, where I spend some quality time with my mother. My father was nowhere to be found; he had gotten up much earlier to dig a grave for a horse (not our horse, since we don't have one -- but as he has dirt-moving equipment, he occasionally gets called to dig graves for large farm animals whose relationship with their owners are strong enough that they merit burial instead of being summarily dragged out into the far reaches of a field). Eventually, I came downstairs again, took a shower, and then went into town with my mother. We stocked up on beer and vegetarian-friendly foods for Adit's grand arrival tomorrow -- it looks like we could have some storms tomorrow night, which could adversely impact plans to go to the town parade and watch fireworks, but we'll have some fun regardless.

After we got back from town, I tried to take a nap, but spent most of my naptime either a) shivering in my air-conditioned room, since I'm used to the warmer, non-climate-controlled rooms in my California house, or b) playing on the internet. Finally, I gave up the cause as lost and went upstairs, where I chopped up potatoes for my mom's potato salad. I watched tv in the kitchen while my parents cooked supper -- after burying the horse, my father had driven up to Indianola to get some of the first sweet corn of the season, and so we had sweet corn and steak for dinner (verdict: delicious). Unfortunately, we all got sucked into "Die Another Day", Pierce Brosnan's last foray as James Bond -- I like Pierce Brosnan, but that movie was terrible, nonsensical, and generally annoying. I like Daniel Craig a lot better (but, sadly, the next one is on hold because MGM is in serious financial trouble, and so it might not get made :( But, I still watched the whole damn thing, even though the only thing I liked was having a villain with a face full of diamonds.

And now, I should probably go to bed; while I doubt that Adit and Omar will arrive before 12 or 1, I can't sleep until then. Goodnight!

No comments: