Wednesday, July 14, 2010

i smell like i sound, i'm lost and i'm found

Today was excellent; I didn't meet my 3000 word goal, but there's no need to pull out a stick and beat me just yet. I made it into the office a little before nine a.m. even though I didn't have any meetings until later in the morning (I know, my will-power in the mornings is so impressive). Then, I slogged quite efficiently all day, getting a lot done (while still taking a break to enjoy baked potato Tuesday at the cafe near me), and leaving the office promptly at six p.m.

There was a slight bit of traffic on the freeway between my office and my house, which reminded me exactly why I'm so thrilled that I moved back to the glorious south bay. When I got home, I promptly turned off my internet connection and wrote for three hours, with a twenty-minute break to make myself some delicious chicken fajitas with the leftover chicken from last night and some of the peppers and onions I keep chopped up and frozen for meals such as these. In three hours, I should have come close to 3000 words; instead, I only wrote 1295. I blame the fact that I was writing the scene in which Madeleine and Ferguson have sex for the first time, which always goes extremely slowly because I have to try to avoid using cliches, while still accepting that everything I can write is a cliche, and balancing my desire to make an emotionally moving scene with my own inner cynicism that would rather turn it all into a big joke. That's how I write sentences like "He was a Greek statue come to life, a god disguised as a man, slipping out of his costume to claim his maiden," which is around the point where I decided that I was done with the night and needed to quit before it got any worse.

So I took a break and watched an episode of "Design Star." I don't know if I'm going to keep watching it, since the contestants and the hosts are all strangely flat and uncompelling, but I kind of want to see what happens. Then I answered a couple of emails from work, and now I need to go to bed; unlike this morning, I have to be in the office tomorrow at 7:30am for a meeting *before* the usual 8am meeting with the big boss, which is a crime against my humanity. But, getting in at 7:30 means I can leave at 4:30 with no regrets, and so hopefully I can finish Madeleine and Ferguson's consummation scene tomorrow night without too much drama. Goodnight!

No comments: