Wednesday, August 18, 2010

'cause today? that was yesterday, yesterday is over, it's a different day

I finally did some writing today (YAY), escaping from the office a little before six p.m. and going to Cafe Borrone to write over a sandwich, a glass of wine, and a latte. The cashier was clearly new, since she carded me for my wine -- and then she asked me if that was 'for here', which kind of startled me, since that implied that maybe I was considering taking the sauvignon blanc in a plastic cup with a straw for the drive home. Anyway, I was really pleased with my progress tonight; I finished editing Sequence Two, and got through half of the first scene of Sequence Three before throwing in the towel. I need to make an immediate decision about who finds out about Madeleine's acting when before I finish the scene that I'm working on, but I decided to sleep on it before wading into the fray. I also had one of those lightning moments of inspiration that makes the whole brutal process worthwhile -- I realized how the character who randomly showed up last week (Ferguson's old mistress, Caro) plays into the whole story and why she showed up when she did. So, that was v. exciting. I also saw Raymond (Sri's old roommate) and one of his friends; Raymond asked me about the progress with the werewhales, which is admittedly slow (partially because it's a ridiculous idea, but mostly because I'm too busy with the writing I'm already doing).

I'm going to be quite busy this fall; I am still trying to finish this book before October 1 (and I *think* I can, if I keep up the pace and don't take five days off like I did this weekend), and I signed up for the young adult novel class and the blogging class at Stanford. Yes, I'm taking a blogging class. You are in for a disappointment if you think it will make this blog any more interesting, but I'm hoping to use the class as a forcing mechanism to improve and start posting regularly on zee romance blog. Luckily, the blogging class is only half the quarter, so it doesn't start until the end of October, which is when I should be taking a break and plotting Ellie and Folkestone's story. So, it should all be manageable if I stay on track. And then there's the issue of my day job, but I will leave that for another day (or never).

Now, I should go to bed; I'm debating wearing my ridiculous shoes tomorrow, but we'll see how I feel when I get up. It's the big boss's staff meeting at 8am, which I'm always late to anyway, and hobbling in on five-inch heels may be a bit much (or exactly right). And if I slog appropriately, I can get out by 5pm and write tomorrow night -- so my subconscious needs to work out the next couple of scenes while I sleep so that I don't waste any precious writing time. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 193 (9.65% of goal - due to editing existing, not writing new)
Productive time: 2.5hr
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.73 (global average: 0.34)

No comments: