Sunday, August 29, 2010

i'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime

So today was definitely a rather hermit-y kind of day. I can feel fall approaching; there are yellow leaves all over my sidewalk, and the air had a bit of a bite to it that was rather welcome after the heat of earlier in the week. Maybe I'm subconsciously hoping for fall because I want to wear all my favorite fall outfits (and my fabulous new magenta uggs that I'm sure Tammy would *adore*) -- but I don't think so. More likely, I'm a little sad that summer is coming to a close, because I don't really feel like I had a summer. With this year's relatively cool weather, and the fact that I traveled so much and never really settled down, and the related issue of not spending my usual week or two in Iowa, it's no wonder that I feel a little cheated.

But, I didn't seize the day and go to the beach (although I briefly considered it). Instead, I wrote, and when the writing failed, I cleaned. I started off by attempting to write at Philz, but my coffee was inexplicably slightly cold, the place was packed, and I got grossed out by a five year old (who was old enough to know better) standing on a chair hovering over the counter while picking her nose, so I came home. And once I got home, I wrote a scene completely out of order that will happen somewhere near the end of the book. It was powerful, and haunting, and I have no idea where it will go -- but it also helped me to open my eyes to the fact that I'm struggling with the middle of the book because it doesn't have enough of that kind of scene. I'm not pushing my characters hard enough, and I'm not getting the maximum emotional impact from what I'm writing -- which is why I keep sidestepping around the transitions between scenes, or dithering over a decision and not writing for several days in a row.

So I considered this issue while cleaning my living room. It's almost fully in order now -- there are a couple last things that I need to sort or put away, but I finally got out my favorite mementos and decorated. And, I hung up the corkboards that go over my desk, so I'm ready to put up all the pictures and quotes and other memorabilia that I like to stare at while I write. Now, while there is still a bit of clutter in the living room and kitchen, my bedroom is the only room that still remains a complete disaster, and I don't think it's going to get fixed anytime soon.

When I was done with the living room, I ordered a pizza, picked it up, ate a couple of slices, procrastinated, and then spent some quality time writing down Madeleine and Ferguson's worst psychological traumas so that I can sadistically torment them and force them to resolve those issues during the book. I think I made some good progress, but tomorrow's writing will tell.

I should probably go to bed if I'm going to write tomorrow; I have a massage/facial appointment in the evil city at 1pm, so it's either write here before I go, or take my laptop and write there before/after the appointment. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 1110 (55.5% of goal)
Productive time: 2hr
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.02 (global average: 0.17)

No comments: