Saturday, August 14, 2010

pincher crabs that pinch at your sandals

I am in Los Angeles! I made it into work this morning and slogged for a few hours, and then escaped around 2:30pm to drive to LA. I stopped twice (once in Casa de Fruta, which is totally absurd, and once in Kettleman City, which is the halfway point between SF and LA and so was utterly packed at 6pm), and made it in a grand total of approximately six hours. Luckily, I didn't hit any serious traffic in LA, and only had delays around San Jose and during some stretches of I-5.

When I got here, Terry greeted me, showed me around her place (which is awesome), and then let me change out of my scrubby driving clothes and into a dress before taking me out into the wilds of Brentwood/Santa Monica. We had a late dinner at what Terry called the area equivalent of Cafe Borrone -- it did have the same combo of indoor and outdoor seating, a European-feeling vibe and menu, and similar pricing, so I was a happy camper. Because it's unusually chilly in LA, they had the heat lamps out on the patio, which I enjoyed tremendously. So, we caught up over "Cafe Borrone", then took a drive around the beach/pier before meeting some of her business school friends for drinks.

The business school kids were at the bar at the W Hotel, which looked quite swanky, but was v. empty, and so the hosts and hostesses were quite desperately polite to us when they probably would have ignored us on a busier night. Terry had a French martini (whatever that is - clearly I need to go to business school), and I had a mojito, and we spent some time chatting with her friends. But, the mojito was putting me to sleep, so we made our exit, came back to Terry's apartment around 11:30, and watched an episode of "Bones" while she dried the sheets that I'm sleeping on tonight. As usual, "Bones" is yet another example of a pop culture/entertainment item that Terry has tried to introduce me to, and as usual I have completely ignored her suggestions -- but this episode was pretty good. Of course, I'll never ever admit that to her (but unfortunately she reads this blog, so I'm screwed).

And now, I should go to sleep; we're meeting up with Allie tomorrow morning for brunch, and then spending the afternoon and evening wandering around LA. You have probably already guessed, but I didn't do any writing today; I'm posting my stats to keep myself honest, but I'm not beating myself up over my lack of writing either. I did some great brainstorming in the car about my young adult gargoyle romance novel, so at least there's that. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: 0hr
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.34)

No comments: