Wednesday, August 25, 2010

they stand up in the palace like it's the last of the great pioneer town bars

I am simply not meant to only get six hours of sleep a night. I don't understand the people who can routinely get five or six hours and still function -- Adit is one of those people, and it was always bizarre to me how he could be up and ready to go before me when he had come home long after me. Perhaps he feeds off of other peoples' energy like some sort of social vampire, recharging himself through socializing while I would rather just go to bed. Tonight is definitely one of those 'must go to bed immediately' nights; even though MOCKINGJAY arrived at my office today, I left it there because I knew that if I brought it home, I would open it, and if I opened it, I wouldn't put it down until I was done. Instead, I'm going to sleep tonight, and read it tomorrow to celebrate being done with the presentation that has been killing me this week.

I sustained another fatal dose of powerpoint today; the big boss met with me at 11:30 and reconceptualized several of the slides that we showed last night, which meant that I had to work some powerpoint "magic" all afternoon to get them done in time for tomorrow morning's presentation. I could quite happily never use powerpoint again, but there are probably still some slides in my future. However, the deck is pretty close to done (just waiting on a final round of edits from the big boss) -- but I'm going to go to bed shortly, and do them in the morning.

So work was fairly uneventful, consistently mostly of powerpoint and a restless search for new and varied means of caffeination to keep myself awake. I had lunch with the Heathers, which was a nice interlude, and then I spent the rest of the afternoon in my office, listening to music and being glad that at least I was in an airconditioned environment for my powerpoint hell, since it was over 90 degrees here yesterday and today. On the way home, I grabbed some sushi, then came back and read (not MOCKINGJAY) for a bit.

And now I'm going to read a bit more to put my brain to sleep -- but I'll read something I've already read before, so that I don't get swept away by my curiosity, and I will set an alarm so that I don't keep reading forever. Clearly I did no writing today, but once this presentation is done, I should be able to devote the weekend to Madeleine and Ferguson. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: --
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.34)

No comments: