Wednesday, September 08, 2010

can't you see what you've done to my heart and soul? this is a wasteland now

I probably should have gone to bed an hour ago, but in an attempt to write, I accidentally got sucked into several chapters of a book on the fashion and style of Marie Antoinette. I also spent some quality time trying to determine whether a spinster had to be thirty before she could safely chaperone other unwed women, or whether she could get by as a chaperone at twenty-eight (which is, as you'll notice, exactly within my own age range, since I will be twenty-nine on Saturday -- oh, and I'll probably still be a spinster on Saturday too).

Today was remarkably frustrating and annoying and rage-inducing. Nothing bad happened at all, but I absolutely did not want to do anything that was on my list of things to do, and if I had played my cards right a couple of weeks ago, none of these things would be my problem anymore. Instead, I spent the day developing communication strategies and collateral for a project that I don't really care about. And, the cafe was out of baked potatoes by the time I went downstairs, so I had to eat a sandwich instead. Worse, there's no fountain Diet Coke machine in my building, and the cans of Diet Coke run out by around 3pm, so my addiction is not being fed. I know, I have such a tough life, and you don't understand how I'm even capable of living under such awful circumstances.

But, I got my act together around 3pm when Natasha told me that I inspire her; since I wasn't feeling particularly inspiring (other than in sort of a Jim Jones, let's poison the kool-aid kind of inspiration, which won't get me anywhere), I then felt a bit guilty about wallowing in my own lack of desire to accomplish anything useful, and so I put my head down and slogged until six. Then, I met up with Joann, Jane and Tolu for our every-six-weeks Friendship Renewal Dinner. It ended up lasting for two and a half hours; at around ninety minutes, we paid (or rather, Joann and Jane paid, since Tolu and I are both having birthdays this weekend), but then Jane dropped a long bomb-ridden monologue on us about some friend of hers whose husband has been sending money to a Thai prostitute for years, which sort of stunned all of us, and ended up prolonging dinner until 8:45. After all that wonderful nonsense, I came home (with a stop to buy some milk, since my milk is about to go over the hill and also tastes like the peppers in my fridge), tried to write, and ultimately did a lot of research instead.

And now it's really time for bed; I have the big boss's staff meeting tomorrow morning and a hard slog to prep for our one-on-one later in the day, but I have high hopes of vacating immediately thereafter and writing a nice chunk of zee romance novel. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 142 (7.1% of goal)
Productive time: 1.25hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.51 (global average: 0.88)

2 comments:

The aunt's coworker said...

Need to know the meaning of the particle doodle yesterday. What's up with that?

Sara said...

Hi aunt's coworker! The particle doodle was a hint at what we announced today: Instant Search. It's an evolution of the search box that automatically filters the search results as you type so that, ideally, you spend less time searching for the right result.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/09/color-changing-google-logo-hints-at-announcement/1