Saturday, September 18, 2010

dragging baskets full of bones

The crickets outside my house are going insane. I suppose it's preferable to the crackheads going insane outside my apartment in San Francisco (or Adit going insane inside it), but it would be nice if they were just the teensiest bit quieter. Then again, that's the price on pays for living in a wampcabin, so it's definitely worth it.

Today was a mostly useless day; I woke up with a smashing headache and so decided to skip work. No biggie; the big boss is out of town, I could do anything that needed to get done from home, and my increasingly lame-duck status is making every day a struggle to stay focused and motivated. So I worked from home in the morning, but still went to campus in the afternoon for a training session at the gym that I didn't want to reschedule. So now, in addition to a headache that doesn't seem to want to go away, my arms are so sore that there was a moment on the way home from the gym when I wasn't sure that I could steer. Yay, I suppose.

When I got home, I took a nap, took a shower, ate some dinner, and eventually went to Starbucks for a couple of hours to work on zee romance novel. I didn't make a ton of forward progress, but I reread some scenes for the next phase of my writing/edits, and I'm feeling much better about the novel as a whole. Now that I've worked out some of the timing issues in terms of what happens when, I can focus on the writing and character development instead of just the mechanics and the plot -- and I have to say, without a shred of modesty, that what I have so far is great and the finished product is going to be an order of magnitude better than my first book. Now, my opinion may change tomorrow when the bleak light of day rains on my parade (to completely mix incompatible metaphors), but for tonight, I'm feeling good about where things are and I have a clear sense of what needs to happen in the next several chapters.

The key is just writing them, so I'm going to go to bed and then get up in time to do some writing before Chandlord comes over tomorrow morning. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 154 (7.7% of goal)
Productive time: 1.55hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: .34 (global average: 0.84)

No comments: