Thursday, September 23, 2010

the final countdown

I'm too tired to blog tonight; or rather, I don't feel like putting the effort in to write anything meaningful (not that you ever get anything meaningful here, but I like to pretend). Work was a hard and brutal slog today. I made it to the big boss's staff meeting on time (shocker), then slogged like mad (with a brief break to grab lunch downstairs, which left much to be desired) before my weekly meeting with the big boss. It went exceedingly well, which made me both happy and sad, and now I'm staring at a mammoth to-do list to take care of over the next three weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

After the meeting, I left almost immediately to grab a sandwich at Quiznos (I made the mistake of trying something new and hating it) and some tea at Starbucks so that I would be properly fueled for my 6:15pm class at Stanford. Tonight was the first night of my 'Writing for Magazines' class, which is going to be v. interesting. I talked to my father for the seven minutes that I had between parking my car and making it to the classroom; he was home alone and making a frozen pizza, which sounded both sad and awesome at the same time. Then, I went into the classroom and spent an interesting three hours with my classmates. The lecturer seems quite good; he's done a lot of magazine reporting in the Middle East and is working on a book about Arabs who fight in the Israeli army, and he's funny (always a big plus for me). My assignment for the class got props for being funny and having a 'voice'; we were supposed to introduce ourselves in less than 300 words, and I think I acquitted myself well. The classmates are really v. interesting people (including a woman who just barely missed the women's diving team for the Beijing Olympics and is trying again for London '12, a single solitary male student in the midst of 18 women, and, bizarrely, three different au pairs -- I've never even seen one au pair, let alone three in the same class), although some of them have the propensity to talk way too much. But, I think it's going to be fun. I strategically signed up to bring in a piece at the end of October -- several weeks away, but right before I start taking the half-quarter blogging class that is going to double my school workload.

After class, I came home, worked for about an hour, and talked to my brother. Sadly, there was no time to write; even though I'm not totally sleepy now, I'm going to go to bed so that I can hopefully blow dry my hair tomorrow morning. Goodnight!

Daily word count: - (0% of goal)
Productive time: 0hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.88)

No comments: