Thursday, September 02, 2010

if heaven is on the way, we'll wrap the world around it

I'm exhausted; today was a v. v. v. long day. I made it into work by 8:20, just in time to grab coffee and some fruit before the offsite started at 8:30. Then, I sat through nine hours of discussion about the future of the business, what our plans are, etc., etc. -- it was all rather interesting, but that is a ridiculously long time to spend sitting in one room with the same people, particularly when you did it all day yesterday and are going to have to do it again all day tomorrow.

When we ended, we went to downtown Mountain View for a going-away party for Roy and Emily, both of whom I worked with way back in the day (Roy was in charge of India when I was there) and both of whom are leaving to go to other companies. There were some other people there who left the company in the past couple of years, so it was fun to catch up with them. Several people from the day-long offsite were there as well, including the big boss, because we stopped there en route to our other event of the evening -- food, drinks and bocce. We had planned the bocce/bonding activity well before we knew about the going-away party, so we sort of inserted the going-away party in between leaving work and arriving at bocce. That meant that between the wine I had at the party and the wine and champagne I had at bocce, I was in quite a good mood, although I stopped early enough that the busride back to Mountain View from Los Gatos was enough to get me back to sobriety.

Bocce was super fun; I'd been there for an offsite once in 2007, and now I want to go back. I'm not particularly good at the primary objective (getting your ball close to the small guide ball), but I excel at and take vindictive pleasure out of knocking other people's balls away from the prize. So, while my team lost both times, I still had a lot of fun bonding with the big boss's staff (although I think there are some ringers who have played some serious bocce in the past).

But, I didn't get home until after eleven, and then I had to send some emails, so now I'm only going to get about six hours of sleep before I have to get up and get ready for the day ahead. Luckily, tomorrow's session is supposed to end at four p.m., so hopefully I'll be able to come home, take a nap, and get some serious writing done. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 0 (0% of goal)
Productive time: --
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.34)

No comments: