Tuesday, September 14, 2010

i'm superman with the wind at his back, she's lois lane

I have nothing to say tonight; I slogged from nine until six-thirty, with a break for lunch with John at the cafe in the building that I was in back in 2006. I also had a checkup with my doctor, who promptly gave me a flu shot -- my doctors are very trigger-happy with the vaccines, which is of course generally a good thing, although given that my last vaccine was the tetanus/whooping cough shot that gave me uncontrollable fever/chills for three days, I felt a slight twinge of misgiving when she stuck me with the flu vaccine. Then I came home, ate the rest of my Greek lasagna, and had a stomachache that prevented me from going to Starbucks like I had intended. So, I sat around and wasted time on the internet for four hours, with a few attempts to go back to the book and work on the manuscript, all of which ended in relative failure.

I'm having another 'I hate this book' night, mostly because the death of Ferguson's father removed any and all reasons for him to show up at the theatre (or anywhere else, for that matter), and so I'm having a lot of trouble getting him and Madeleine together in a believable way. Also, I had decided to switch the moment when Ferguson recognizes Madeleine from the end of sequence one to the end of sequence five so that there's more entertaining masquerading in between and the risk/payoff is higher when he does discover her. But if he doesn't know it's her, then everything else starts to feel wrong -- like, how should he interact with her in public when she's her real self and he doesn't know it? If he flirts with her there, then he just looks like a two-timing bastard. And every decision I make has a bunch of knock-on ramifications that are driving me absolutely up the wall.

But, I'll persevere; work tomorrow should be quite so hectic, so I'm going to leave early and go someplace to write. Hopefully my sleeping brain will come up with a solution for Ferguson (preferably one that doesn't involve nightmares about my own wedding, which seem to be plaguing me with increasing frequency -- it's like phantom limb syndrome, being tormented by something that doesn't exist). Goodnight!

Daily word count: 206 (10.3% of goal)
Productive time: 1.25hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: -0.22 (global average: 0.89)

No comments: