Monday, September 27, 2010

just say yes -- 'cause i'm aching and i know you are too

I didn't write as much as I wanted to today -- but since I almost never write as much as I want to, I'm still happy with the progress that I did make. After staying up way too late avoiding the contest that I was supposed to be judging, it's little surprise that I stayed in bed until almost eleven -- but I managed to drag myself out of bed and over to Starbucks by noon, where I worked diligently for a couple of hours. Then I grabbed a late lunch, came home, played on the computer a bit, and called my parents. I also spent some quality time cleaning off my desk and putting up photos/cards/quotes on the corkboards over my desk -- yes, this is clear procrastination, but I wasn't able to work at my desk until this happened, and now I'm feeling the love in that little corner of my house.

After finishing that little project, I sat back down to Madeleine and Ferguson and considered their situation for a couple more hours. The net result was not a high word count, but I think I may have finally figured out a way to get Ferguson to the theatre -- I already knew that he became obscenely wealthy upon inheriting his father's estate, but as it turns out, the estate includes large tracts of land in London, including the building which houses the theatre where Madeleine is acting. He goes to check it out, finds Madeleine 'in the act', so to speak (ha, I make myself laugh), and the rest proceeds as expected. This also has the unexpected benefit of giving Ferguson a major temptation to interfere in her acting career by shutting down the theatre.

Of course, the twins are now sitting on thin ice, since I'm tempted to kill them off again -- but I think I shall keep them. I just wish that this story would lay flat and stay still for awhile so that I could finish it, but it seems that every time I engage with it, it throws me another curveball. The point where one begins attributing human actions to something that one actually created is clearly the point at which one should perhaps step away and take a break -- but I make so much more progress when fully immersed in the story and the characters.

And that is why going to work tomorrow will be no fun. I want it to be fun; after all, I only have fifteen work days left in the office (omg). But I have a lot of stuff to do before I can leave feeling like I finished everything I wanted to do, so this week is going to be a tough slog. Hopefully it's a tough slog that still allows me to write every night -- time will tell. But now, it's time for bed!


Daily word count: 1329 (66.45% of goal)
Productive time: 4.5hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.86 (global average: 0.25)

No comments: