Friday, September 03, 2010

take another little piece of my heart

Today was the third and final day of the big boss's staff offsite, and I'm really, really glad that it's over. We had a good day, but three days is just too long to sit in the same room with the same people talking about business problems that only tangentially affect you, and so I spent a lot of the afternoon compulsively checking my email on my phone while waiting for it all to end. But, I survived, and I escaped around 4:45 to go to Palo Alto in search of a tiger spice chai at Coupa Cafe and some productive writing time.

I only stayed at Coupa for half an hour, since I was able to get my hair stylist (who is half a block from Coupa) to squeeze me in and trim my bangs. My hair grows fast, and the bangs were already uncomfortably in my eyes (even though they look awesome that way), but since Susie does free bang trims in between cuts, I felt like I should get them taken care of. After she was done, I came home, tidied up just a bit, and ate a delicious frozen enchilada while watching last night's 'Top Chef' (verdict: sad!). Then, I procrastinated on the internet, procrastinated with getting ready for bed (you know I'm procrastinating when I exfoliate and floss on the same night) -- and finally sat down to write. I've decided to just pretend that the first half of the book is done (since I have something down for almost every scene in the first half, even if there are pieces that need to be substantially rewritten) and focus on making rapid forward progress. My hypothesis is that since I don't yet know how the book is going to end, I should just write towards the end immediately, knowing that however I end it, I'll probably need to tweak some things at the beginning anyway, and I might as well do the tweaking while rewriting the beginning for the final time. So, I wrote a brand-new scene tonight, officially breaking ground on the new Sequence Five. I'm setting the ambitious goal of writing 12,000 over the three-day weekend -- it's definitely doable, I just need to *do* it.

But now, I should really sleep; I need to be productive at work tomorrow morning because I'm leaving early to pick up Terry from the airport, and I want to squeeze some writing time in (either tomorrow morning before work, which is usually a fool's errand, or while Terry is out socializing with people). And, of course, I need to blow dry my awesome bangs. While they're kind of a pain in the ass, they are encouraging me to dress snazzier to look even more eccentrically awesome (the big boss commented on this fact today, likely because I was wearing the brown/aqua/coral striped skirt that I bought the other day) -- so I'm enjoying them. Goodnight!

Daily word count: 1415 (70.75% of goal)
Productive time: 2hr15min
RescueTime productivity rating: 0.66 (global average: 0.88)

No comments: