Friday, September 24, 2010

you wanna know, know that it doesn't hurt me

Even though it's a Friday night and the weekend is stretched luxuriously before me, I'm going to go to bed in a few minutes so that I can get up and slog with renewed purpose in the morning. My much-touted internet ban last weekend died an embarrassing and unreported death over the course of the week, but I'm going to try to strike a healthy balance tomorrow and get some serious writing done. I also need to judge a few entries for a romance contest that I'm judging, which I've tentatively pencilled in to do while watching the Stanford/Notre Dame game. But the current plan is to go to bed, get up, and write for a few hours before that happens -- so we'll see if I can follow through.

Today almost started out disastrously. I went to bed late last night, consumed with thoughts of my upcoming freedom, and set my alarm for 8am, thinking that my first meeting wasn't until 10am. So, when the alarm went off and I was still sleepy, I reset it for 8:30, thinking that would give me plenty of time. But when I woke up at 8:30, stretching happily in my warm bed, I suddenly remembered that the 10am meeting had been rescheduled for 9am...and was a twenty minute drive away from my house. Damn. Needless to say, I didn't have time to shower, and I ended up doing my eye makeup in my car; but luckily I had washed my hair yesterday, so a bit of dry shampoo and some tinted moisturizer for my face was enough to get me out the door. I made it to the meeting just as it was starting, which was a total miracle, and looked put-together in my fun Anthropologie brown/blue/coral striped skirt that I bought a few weeks ago.

After that, I slogged for an hour, attended a meeting with the big boss for an hour (at which I was mostly irrelevant, since I have lame-duck status), and then had what we billed an "Alaska/Indiana/Iowa Solidarity Rally" (or something similar) lunch with Alaska Matt and Heather (aka dear respected madam, who is, obviously, from Illinois). Alaska Matt is in town briefly, back for a week from his eighteen-month stint in Dublin -- but his last day with the company is at the end of October, at which point he's moving back to Alaska. It was kind of crazy to have lunch with them and realize that two of the three of us will no longer be employed in a month -- but it was quite entertaining to see them and catch up.

Post lunch, I had all sorts of work stuff that I intended to do, but I had to deal with an issue with my favorite cable company (which shall remain nameless since I don't need their weird comment spam here). Adit had left the cable box behind when he moved out of our place, and I had never taken it back; I had assumed that if he got charged for it, I would pay the fees, but I really dreaded the idea of standing in line at a cable facility, and figured that I would just wait to see if they noticed it was missing before I bothered to take it back. As it turns out, he didn't forward his mail from our old place and so never got the past-due notices, and then was sent to collections. Oops. So I had a fun afternoon driving up to Foster City and standing in line to drop off the DVR and the modem; it wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, but it also left me in no mood to go back to the office, so I worked from home the rest of the afternoon.

I had a surprise visit from Chandlord, who 'enjoyed' a glass of cranberry juice (which I mistakenly bought completely sans sugar, which tastes a bit offer) while sitting at my kitchen table for half an hour. After she left, I did some more work stuff, made dinner, and then decided to read Gary Shteyengart's SUPER SAD TRUE LOVE STORY, which is getting some critical acclaim and has been sitting on my to-be-read pile for awhile. I'm a little over halfway through, and it's a sign of my ambivalence that I put it down; it's funny and v. well-observed and vaguely depressing and ominous, but it feels just slightly forced. I'll still finish it, since I want to know what happens, but I don't think it's going on my all-time favorites list.

And now, I should sleep if I want to write tomorrow. Goodnight!

Daily word count: - (0% of goal)
Productive time: 0hrs
RescueTime productivity rating: -- (global average: 0.88)

No comments: