Monday, October 25, 2010

i won't ever have to lie, won't ever have to say goodbye

For all that my head this morning felt like it had been hit with an exploding champagne cork (which almost did happen last night, as Fauxneil had a bit of a mishap with one of the many bottles of champagne that I forced the guys to open during zee party), I still managed to eke a good day out of my hangover. I didn't sleep well at all last night, probably because stupidly made chai around nine p.m. and then started to get a hangover by two a.m. (the beauty/peril of afternoon drinking), and so when I woke up to see Chandlord off around eight a.m., I promptly crawled back into bed and stayed there until after eleven. Then, I finally dragged myself upright and into the kitchen, where I cleaned up the worst ravages of yesterday's excesses. After loading up the dishwasher, washing almost everything that needed to be handwashed (except the soup pot and the maidrite crockpot, which are soaking), and taking out a big bag of trash and two bags of recycling, my kitchen is closer to livable again. Really, I wasn't in such bad shape, since I had done all the cooking and cleaning up before any guests arrived, and so most of what was left was paper plates, soup bowls, disposable cups, and the chai mugs. But, every counter surface was just a bit damp and sticky from beer, rum, champagne, simple syrup, or all of it combined, so a good scrubbing was in order.

I was also in need of a good scrubbing after that, so I took a long shower and washed my hair for the first time in days (yes, I thought you would want to know that -- as long as I wash and dry the bangs every day, the rest of it can go several days and still look pretty kickin'). Then, I pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and drove to Menlo Park, where John and Jess were babysitting his sister's two kids, to deliver the phone that John left here yesterday. The kids are super cute and v. playful, and I stayed for an hour and a half -- but spending time, any time, with someone else's kids is enough to remind me that any maternal urges I may have right now are entirely hormonal and at complete odds with the aspects of my life that I enjoy. Kids are also at odds with the aspects I don't enjoy -- namely, champagne hangovers, since I belatedly realized that toddlers were not going to make my champagne headache resolve any faster.

So, I escaped, came home, and had my traditional Sunday afternoon phone call with my parents, who told me not to watch the "60 Minutes" piece tonight on unemployment in the Bay Area, since it might depress me (which of course means I'm going to watch it later, preferably when the fact that I'm not getting a paycheck starts to sink in). Then, I took a brief nap before getting up, dressing myself in a slightly more upscale version of my afternoon outfit (same everything else, but with a teal cashmere cardigan rather than a sweatshirt), and met Vidya and Ronak for dinner at Shana Thai. I don't know Ronak super well, but after spending the evening making fun of Vidya with him, I think he's a winner. Ronak stayed with Vidya last night, and the more observant among you will question this, since Vidya stayed with me last night -- Ronak apparently drove all the way back up to the city to stay at Vidya's last night, but since Vidya was here, they didn't actually get to see each other. So, Vidya brought him to our usual Sunday night meal (if you can call the fact that we've done it two Sundays in a row "usual").

We ended up ordering enough food for six people, which was a little ridiculous, but that's how we roll. We eventually had to part ways, though, since they were going to see a movie (a documentary, of course, since Chandlord doesn't watch the kinds of movies I watch) and I had no interest in going with them. On the way home, I stopped at Verde for an earl grey milk tea -- no pearls, of course, and certainly no aloe or red brick or any other additions that people are stupid enough to get there.

The milk tea may have been a mistake, even though it was lovely to get it; now I'm uncomfortably full, caffeinated, and likely to sleep badly. But I'm going to try to sleep anyway -- now that my party is over and I've had a week of relative sloth, I need to hit the writing in earnest starting tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: