Saturday, October 02, 2010

it's like i've waited my whole life for this one night

I have v. little to report tonight; I did write 851 words, but that's no real accomplishment because I realized while driving home from Cafe Borrone (where I wrote those 851 words over a sandwich and a glass of wine) that I was going to have to delete them all. I finally figured out that the scene wasn't working because I had moved it from a later place in the book without changing Ferguson's underlying emotional narrative; now that it's in the first couple of sequences and is a conversation with his sisters, rather than at the midpoint of the book and an explosive confrontation with his father, his emotions are completely different. That's the danger of moving scenes around rather than just deleting one and creating another; this is really a totally different, unrelated scene, but I was trying to preserve too much of the structure to the detriment of what actually needs to happen at that poing in the story.

So I'm glad that I figured it out, even if by the time I got home I was too tired to delete and start again. Instead, I watched the Oprah interview with JK Rowling, which I v. smartly tivo'd. It was a really good interview, although there were bits where the seemed to be commiserating over what it's like to have a billion dollars (Oprah said she would have to be a 'fool' to ever be poor again, which is true) -- but it was interesting to see the two of them bond, since there are probably v. few people who understand exactly what they've gone through, but their stories have definite similarities. Still, I liked hearing from JK Rowling, and I'm now tempted to reread all the "Harry Potter" books (which I will have to do if I want to pursue a young-adult career anyway).

I would wrote down the daily stats, but I'm too tired, so they'll have to wait for tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: