Thursday, November 11, 2010

for in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Not only did my goal of going to bed at midnight not happen tonight, but I find myself even farther away from that goal than I have been in days. But, I made some great progress on my book tonight, so I'll take it.

After discovering that my blog and gmail had been blocked due to "suspicious activity" last night, enduring harsh emails from both my mother and Katie about how I had ruined their morning coffee + blog rituals, and fixing the problem, I promptly went back to sleep. So, I crawled out of bed into my frigid house at ten a.m. -- I should get the thermostat fixed, but after my father told me a great story about how someone in our hometown had wanted him to sell them home insurance (way back in the day, when he was briefly an insurance agent and I was also briefly about seven years old) and was annoyed because my father couldn't do it because of a floor furnace...only to get insurance from another company, and then promptly have the house burn down due to the floor furnace. You can surmise from this that I also have a floor furnace, so rather than turning it on tonight (I can turn it on and off, I just have to be awake to do it or else it keeps running because the thermostat can't shut it off), I'm bundled up under my guest down comforter, drinking tea and enjoying the warmth of my sterility-inducing laptop.

Anyway, I made it into the gym at twelve for my training session with Alyssa, but we spent most of it stretching; I tweaked something in my left thigh and was/am walking with a limp, so I had a fun hour trying to contort my limbs into all sorts of painful poses to take the pain away. It didn't really work, and I spent the rest of the day trying to find a position where I could be comfortable and still work (again with limited success) -- but I'm taking tomorrow off from the gym, so hopefully I'll get rested up.

I should have gone to blogging class tonight, but at the last moment I skipped it; I wanted to soak in a hot bath (which I ended up not doing because I got sucked into writing), did not want to walk around campus, and wasn't completely interested in querying magazine editors (the topic of tonight's class) because I'd already sat through a long discussion of that topic in a different class I took a couple of years ago. Instead, I stayed home, and put my time to good use by editing my manuscript; I'm trying to send it to a handful of beta readers tomorrow if it kills me, and thanks to today, I just might make it. I wrapped up around one, then did half an hour of work for that freelance project, and now I need to go to bed. Tomorrow promises to be the same but different -- no gym, but lots of writing, a little frostbite, some continued muscle pain, a bit of freelancing, and hopefully dinner with Jenni and James. Yay. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Mahin said...

Omgs does that mean I get to read it????