Monday, November 29, 2010

knock me out every time they touch me

I'm in a substantially better place with my writing tonight than I was last night; perhaps this will doom me to being in a worse place tomorrow, but I'll take what I can get. I managed to write and rewrite my synopsis today, and to edit the first fifty pages of my manuscript to include as much feedback as I could from my beta readers while still keeping the story tight for the purposes of the contest. I think I need to add another scene in there someplace to lay out some motivations even more clearly, but I'm not going to do it for this entry -- I think it's more important to end on the perfect cliffhanger for a contest, and so I tried to add in a few bits and pieces of motivation in the existing scenes rather than inserting a whole new scene and breaking up the flow.

So my entry is in pretty good shape; I wanted to finish this part first so that I could print at my leisure tomorrow and have time to recover from any catastrophic printer malfunctions. Starting when I wake up tomorrow, through to Tuesday around two p.m., I'm going to write like the wind on the rest of the draft, but as it's not as important as the first fifty pages, I'm not too concerned. And then I can get down to the business of actually writing for real, and not trying to tweak for a contest, which I must say I'm looking forward to even more than the fact that I could theoretically take a break after Tuesday.

I did nothing other than write today, with the exception of my usual Sunday call to my parents and a v. brief trip to the gym, which was abbreviated because the gym closed earlier than usual due to the holiday weekend. Isn't my life exciting? And on that note, I should really get some sleep so that I can be fresh for tomorrow's slog -- goodnight!

No comments: