Tuesday, December 14, 2010

don't be a baby, remember what you told me

I really should not be surprised that I'm still up, as a) it's only 10:45, which is earlier than I go to bed these days and b) I always leave packing until the last minute -- but since I am getting picked up at 4:50am to go to the airport, I should really go to sleep. Luckily, I am completely packed at this point, other than my hair dryer and my glasses/contacts, so tomorrow morning will just necessitate a quick shower before leaving. However, I basically packed twice, since my first bag was over the fifty pound limit, and so I redistributed between the large duffel I was using and the smaller carry-on sized duffel that I'm going to check as well (a luxury that I can afford because I have sufficient status on United to check two bags free, a remnant from my corporate jetsetting ways). Of course, once I redistributed and added more stuff since I now had more space, I got close to the limit again, and had to redistribute one last time -- but now I should be good to go.

So between packing, doing all the little things like cleaning out my fridge and taking care of my mail, and forcing myself to go to the gym, I was v. busy until almost five p.m. Then, I dashed over to campus and had an early dinner at the CoHo (which was not v. good), where I did my assignment for the blogging class. I had to review one of my classmates' blogs and write up a 5-8 minute presentation on what I thought worked and what didn't work so well, and I got it done just in time to make it to class.

Tonight, I also got the pleasure of having my romance blog reviewed by my classmates. The two women who reviewed it were interested in history, which helped, even if they didn't have a background in romance; one of the two had so much knowledge that she felt that referencing "Anne of Green Gables" as one of my inspirations was not only too far removed from the Regency time period, but since Anne's background and community is heavily Presbyterian and the Regency is mostly influenced by Anglican teachings, there isn't really a relation between the two. She's absolutely right, even though I think that people can be influenced by a broad variety of topics outside their specific genre, but it was really entertaining to me to get that level of feedback.

Overall, though, the feedback was quite good and v. useful; while the class has gotten bogged down in technical details to some extent, the class on the whole is filled with smart people who have some good ideas about design and how things are presented. There was talk at the end of the class of keeping the group going to discuss blogging in the future, and we'll see how that goes -- I really enjoyed meeting some of the people in the class, including the two women who reviewed my blog and a third woman who actually uses Alyssa as her personal trainer just like I do, so hopefully some of us will stay in touch.

But now, I really must go to bed; my flight to Iowa awaits. Goodnight!

No comments: