Wednesday, December 08, 2010

i'm not just one of your many toys

Apparently it's two a.m. - who knew? I didn't do a single bit of writing today, but I was quite busy despite that. I spent the morning taking care of various paperwork/administrative tasks, and then I met up for lunch with a girl from the writing class I took last year. We're roughly the same age and coincidentally both wrote stories related to Eleanor of Aquitaine for the class we took, and since she works just down the street from my house, it was convenient to get together and talk about writing. I got a tour of the Palo Alto Weekly offices before we had lunch, since she's an editor there -- sadly, there are no printing presses these days, but the building is surprisingly lovely given the overall moribund state of the news industry. And lunch was fun; she's wrapping up her first book, so we discussed submitting manuscripts, how we write, etc. While I'm quite glad that most of my friends aren't writers, it's nice to talk to other writers occasionally, so hopefully I'll see her again after the holidays.

We parted ways around two, and I went promptly to the gym, where I followed Alyssa's recommendations for treadmill and elliptical rather than doing my own lacksadaisical program, and therefore wanted to die. Then I came home, grabbed my laptop, went to campus, grabbed an early dinner, and started rebuilding zee romance blog before class tonight.

And, I must confess, I continued rebuilding it during class -- it's too bad that the class is really frustratingly far beneath my technical skills, because while I'm by no means a tech whiz, I didn't really pick up anything useful tonight. But, if nothing else, the class has been good for getting me to think about my blog again, and the five hours I spent working on the template on campus plus the four hours I spent after getting home is getting me to a better place. If you have any thoughts on the site (linked above), let me know; the old template was flashier, but this one may be more readable, and it has the added advantage of loading in a couple of seconds rather than the 8-12 seconds that the old template was yielding.

Sadly, I must go to bed immediately so that I can get some stuff done tomorrow morning before another action-packed day. Goodnight!

No comments: