Saturday, December 18, 2010

just to break my own fall

Today was more action-packed than usual, in the sedate sort of way that 'action' manifests itself when I am at home. I managed to drag myself out of bed in time to go to my mother's Garden Club meeting, where, despite my best attempts with eyeliner and mascara, I was promptly told that I still look exactly as I did when I was six years old. Sadly, they are right; I can either take it as a compliment (in which case my expensive eye cream is working), or I can be annoyed that I still don't look like an adult (in which case tossing the eye cream and doing meth for a month or two should give me some wrinkles in no time). If those are my choices, I think I'll stick with looking six years old for as long as possible. Yay.

Anyway, Garden Club was entertaining; it was their holiday party, so we had lunch at a woman named Virginia's house (she's quite sweet -- she's in the same secret society as my mom and me too, which is unrelated to Garden Club but shares several members). The request for the holiday party was to bring a salad, and so everyone brought something while Virginia made a stuffed pork loin entree. The salads ended up being three different kinds of jello salad (including a cranberry salad, a red jello (strawberry?) one topped w/marshmallows, and an orange salad topped with cool whip and cheese), a corn casserole, a baked bread/pineapple/sugar thing, candied apples, and my mom's spinach salad (frozen chopped spinach, mayonnaise, hard boiled egg, cheese, onion, etc.). Needless to say, their definition of salad and Alyssa's definition of salad are two v. different things. But, they were all tasty, and I left with a complete sugar high (like a good six year old).

After Garden Club, my mom and I drove up to the next town north of us (twenty miles) to pick up mints for my grandma's birthday party on Sunday. Then, we came home and (again like a good six year old) I took a nap. I woke up just in time for supper, which my father brought back from a pizza place in the next 'major' town east of us (thirty miles) -- yum.

Long-time readers will be shocked to hear that we did NOT watch CBS the entire evening -- we boycotted the "Frosty the Snowman" cartoons on CBS and switched to a documentary about Paris from 1900-1930 on public television instead (only after my father, after seeing a bit of the new cartoon remake of "Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus", said that "Yes, Virginia" was too boring and that "Virginia Gets Vagazzled" would be much more entertaining -- I must say that I'm a little horrified that he knows what that is). When the documentary was over, though, we switched back to CBS, watching the Tom Selleck vehicle "Blue Bloods", the 10pm news, an incredibly awkward and long interview of Robert DeNiro and Dustin Hoffman by David Letterman, and a great episode of Craig.

But now, I really should sleep; a horde of relatives descends tomorrow, including my brother and my dad's siblings, so that we can celebrate Christmas tomorrow night before having Gram's birthday party on Sunday. And then, I really must finish (start) my Christmas shopping, so I should probably think about that tomorrow as well. Goodnight!

No comments: