Tuesday, December 21, 2010

obscured as it was by great clouds

While the vast wastes of rural Iowa would normally be ideal (albeit chilly) for witnessing a lunar eclipse on a winter solstice, it's unfortunately completely obscured by heavy cloud cover. I may be vaguely happy about this, since it obviates the need for me to go out in subfreezing temperatures to watch everything get darker and then lighter -- but then again, as someone who is about to embark on writing a young adult gargoyle romance set in the present day with a distinct medieval flavor, seeing an eclipse on a solstice would have been a good bit of 'research'.

Alas, it's not meant to be. I didn't go to Des Moines today either; instead, I slept late (albeit not any later than usual), went upstairs and hung out with the fam while having an odd, grazing lunch of Cheerios, leftover birthday cake, and popcorn, and then came downstairs with the intention of taking a shower. I never did take a shower, though; instead, I read romance blogs for awhile, went back upstairs when my grandmother showed up, procrastinated some more, and then ate supper (maid-rites aka loose meat sandwiches, french fries, baked beans, and creamed peas).

After supper, I intended to do some writing, and I set myself up with all my notebooks and my laptop on the island in the kitchen. And I did accomplish some amount of reimmersion into my book -- I haven't written anything in a week, and so I'm finding it hard to get started again. But, I got distracted with the desire to figure out my Christmas cards, and I spent an inordinate amount of time browsing possibilities (and nearly buying) before deciding that I'll take my chances on finding something I like in Des Moines so that I don't have to pay for express shipping, and if I don't find it, then the Christmas cards aren't going out this year. I still have hope, though, even if the art of sending Christmas cards has been replaced with the art of sending a mass text message (which I can't do or receive from Iowa anyway).

So I'm going to sign off, write for just a little bit in my notebook to try to warm up my stiff writing muscles, and then go to bed with the intention of hitting it harder tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: