Monday, December 06, 2010

raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

I had a lovely, absolutely ridiculous day, even though I failed to get up early as intended. Instead, I rolled out of bed around ten, made some oatmeal, wrote for about an hour (three pages - not fantastic, but respectable), showered (at home, for the first time in a week, since I didn't go to the gym today), and then went to Whole Foods to get some groceries for the week ahead. On the way home, I talked to my sister about Christmas, and then after I got home I had my usual Sunday call with my parents. I suppose I should start making my wishlist and doing my shopping for others, but it really hasn't sunk in that Christmas is less than three weeks away -- but it will sink in rather badly if I don't get any presents for my family, so I should get on it.

The only activity of interest to all y'all today, though, was that I actually went to the "Sound of Music" singalong in the evil city tonight. Knowing my tendency to bail on things that happen in the city, I took precautionary measures, asking Chandlord to buy my ticket in advance and coordinating with John/Jess to carpool with them. Even with those external pressures, I was v. v. close to bailing -- it was raining, the city is far away, the timing meant that dinner was impossible, and I wasn't sure I could handle so much awesomeness.

However, I went, and I survived (barely). We made it up to the city around 5:30pm, and we congregated at Kathy's house with the fifteen other people who were going, where Kathy's fiance made us mulled wine and we snacked on hummus (part of what I had gone to Whole Foods for), cheese, etc. before walking over to the Castro Theatre. We got there early enough to get seats for all of us in the same general vicinity, although we later discovered that we had chosen poorly (more on that in a moment). Then we settled in for the show -- and quite some show it was. The Castro Theatre is a gorgeous oldschool theatre, with an organ and everything, and the organist played some "Sound of Music" tunes before the show started. We were given instructions to boo at the Nazis, hiss at the Baroness, awww at Gretl, etc., and there were subtitles on all songs so that it was even easier to sing along.

And the singing was quite fun -- and I had forgotten what a complete hottie Captain Von Trapp is, despite his not-so-hot name. Chandlord was in fine form, as I expected. The only fly in the ointment were the really awful, obnoxious, annoying, terrible girls sitting behind us, who made me alternate between homicidal and suicidal urges throughout the movie. I actually suggested to Chandlord that we try a "Murder on the Orient Express" plot and each take turns stabbing them a single time so that all of us were guilty and therefore might be able to convince the authorities that none of us were guilty, but I forgot to bring my shank, so we weren't able to pull it off.

Unfortunately, I can't possibly capture just how awful they were, and I'm trying to block the memories, so you'll just have to believe me. Other than that, I had a great time, even if I didn't make it home until almost 11:30. Luckily, I don't have to go to work tomorrow, unlike most of the other poor schumcks I was with -- but I do need to get up so that I can write before going to the gym, so I should probably get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: