Sunday, December 05, 2010

the sound of settling

So I made it to the gym by nine a.m., trained with Alyssa, came home, did laundry...and promptly let the rest of the day slip away from me. The only thing of interest was that I ran into my neighbor who lives in the studio above the garage and we showed each other our places; she's managed to fit a baby grand piano in there, in addition to a ton of other stuff, which is quite remarkable. But then, I messed around on the internet, took a nap, messed around some more, made dinner (pasta with some arrabiata jarred sauce made by Mario Batali, to which I added a bunch of chicken), and ate dinner while watching Craig Ferguson. He had Salman Rushdie on, who was quite entertaining, and who also manages to write critically-acclaimed, award-winning novels despite an addiction to iphone games.

Bottom line, I should have just watched a movie or read a book, but I stayed on my computer while telling myself that I would start writing in ten minutes, and the hours just slipped away. I must find a better system than this asap. So in an effort to kickstart that better system, I'm going to bed now (eleven p.m. - shocking!) so that I can get up early tomorrow and write/go to the gym before I hit the afternoon doldrums. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Hi Sara, I'm just going to jump straight in. I suffered from insomnia for about twenty years. I tried all kinds of ways to get to sleep at a reasonable hour. And failed. Then I tried a different approach. I looked for ways to help me wake up early.
My personal favorite is to use an application on my computer to play a selected list of music from my iTunes library. I set the volume low enough that I will wake when i'm ready and not be startled by loud noise. I now wake up at around six thirty and use the quiet time to learn new stuff and do writing exercises. Brilliant for waking up the brain. I no longer go to work grumpy and resentful.

I've posted the web adress to a site that might be useful if you want to try something similar. A good solution for one person is not universally applicable to another so try different things. good luck.

http://www.howtowakeupearly.com/