Sunday, January 16, 2011

and as the two of us rebel and damn you all to hell

I'm quite cranky tonight; perhaps I should just recognize that Saturdays are typically exercises in frustration when it comes to my writing and plan accordingly. It seems that I get all cranky and self-loathing every Saturday, probably because I always think that I'm going to get so much done, and then when it doesn't happen I quickly spiral into a local minima.

Or perhaps I was doomed to begin with, because I woke up with a wine headache, and that is never a good start to the day. I managed to drag myself out of bed and into a restorative shower before going to downtown Campbell for lunch with Heather, Salim, Chris and Natasha at Sonoma Chicken Coop. I'd never been to downtown Campbell before; it was cute in pretty much the same way that the downtowns of most of the cities in the glorious south bay are. But my lunch was v. tasty (a chicken, avocado, and cheddar sandwich, which was much better than it sounds, if that's possible -- the chicken was fried, after all), and it was great to see everyone -- my three week sojourn in Iowa meant that I was separated from all my friends for a month or more, so it's been good to catch up. However, lunch last way longer than I expected; I got there at noon, and didn't leave until three. By the time I got home, it was after 3:30, and so I decided to take a quick, rejuvenating nap...

...and promptly, unexpectedly slept for two hours, since I failed to set an alarm. That pretty much scotched the rest of the day, since then I was cranky, headachy, and v. displeased about having slept so long, since I knew it would ruin my attempts to sleep tonight. I did managed to wrestle out about four pages of Madeleine and Ferguson's story after that (you will be happy to know that he proposed and she said yes!), eat a bowl of cereal for dinner since I was still full from lunch, and then manage to keep from wasting time on the internet by reading 3/4s of a Georgette Heyer book that I hadn't read before -- THE NONESUCH, which is one of her older hero/older heroine books (where "older" is 35 and 26, respectively -- I feel ancient). The hero and heroine are named Waldo and Ancilla, which I find ridiculous, but other than that, the book is pretty good.

Now, though, I should go to bed in an attempt to stop being cranky so that I can get up tomorrow, go to the gym, talk to my parents, and write the rest of the day. Goodnight!

No comments: