Monday, January 17, 2011

the atom will implode, the fragile kingdom fall

So I definitely didn't accomplish as much as I intended today, and since I saw no one other than the people at the gym and my neighbor's daughter, I don't have a lot to say. But, since that never stops me, I'll just have to persevere with this entry and see if I can come up with anything of interest, right?

I did manage to get up before nine a.m., which was quite acceptable. Then, I considered going to the gym, but decided to have breakfast and try to write first; around eleven, though, I decided that the writing wasn't going anywhere, so I went to the gym and did equal amounts elliptical and stretching in an effort to get my left leg to behave like my right leg. As that's a months-long rather than minutes-long task, I didn't notice any progress, but I'll just have to keep at it. Then I showered, got a salad to go from their cafe, came home, ate lunch over my compulsive checking of Twitter, and did a load of laundry. My laundry these days is totally laughable -- it's all gym clothes and pajamas, which is the true sign of someone who works from home.

I proceeded to squander the afternoon, although I did eventually do some work -- first, an extensive treatment of what will happen in the next scene (which is crucial, which is probably why I'm avoiding it), and then clearing out a bunch of emails that I've been sitting on for the past few weeks/months. I despise emails, as any of you who have tried to email me know, but I put a dent in my communications which was probably necessary even though it didn't make me happy. I eventually stopped emailing and made supper -- a pasta dish out of that cookbook my parents gave me, which is sort of a fettuccine alfredo, although the alfredo sauce is 10x healthier than restaurant alfredos (at a cost of approximately 30% of the taste), and the pasta has zucchini in it, which was actually quite good. I think I should add some chicken or scallops to it next time, but I was lazy tonight; still, it was utterly sufficient and v. easy to make (although it required two pans and my immersion blender, which I thought was a bit of overkill).

And then, while I should have written, I threw in the towel; I spent a bit of time preparing for my conversation with my agent later this week, and then I finished the book I started on Saturday (THE NONESUCH). Verdict: wonderful banter, but as usual with Heyer, I am so annoyed that the hero and heroine get together on virtually the last page and are never shown doing anything more than a single chaste kiss. That was an interesting observation for me, though, since I was on the verge of having Madeleine and Ferguson get together too late in the book (not physically, since they have sex before they're committed to getting married (those whores!)), and it was good to feel that frustration over someone else's book and recognize that it could be a problem in mine. So, I'm counting the reading as research so that I can feel better about my progress.

Tomorrow promises to be way too busy -- I need to get up early to register for the romance conference, train with Alyssa at the gym, possibly talk to my agent, go to my old employer for lunch, chat with the girl who got suckered (er, offered a great visibility opportunity) into planning the leadership summit I planned last year), and then write for a few hours before having dinner with some friends. The "write for a few hours" part of that is the most key, even if it's the least pressing -- hopefully I can remind myself of that fact. Goodnight!

No comments: