Monday, January 24, 2011

forbidden friendship

I'm v. distracted and don't quite know how to blog right now; Chandlord is drifting off to sweet slumber on my couch whilst watching tivo'd episodes of Craig, and so I am having trouble concentrating. Craig has the absolute most awkward guest ever on his show right now -- the first guest was Emily Deschanel from "Bones", who was quite lovely, but the second one is an awkward disaster. Chandlord said it would be like having me on the show, which hurt my feelings, but since she refuses to leave, I think I'm stuck with her.

The first two-thirds of my day was fine, although not particularly wonderful; I set my alarm for eight, and then somehow managed to turn it off and so slept until ten. I forced myself out of bed, procrastinated for a couple of hours, went to Starbucks and successfully rebrainstormed the scene that I'm currently struggling with, wasted some more time in the afternoon, and finally forced myself to write approximately four pages before Chandlord showed up a little after five p.m. We had planned to go see a literary event at Stanford -- a conversation between Tim O'Brien and Tobias Wolff. Tobias Wolff is a famous offer who heads up the Stanford creative writing department; Tim O'Brien is a famous author who has written numerous acclaimed stories, including "The Things They Carried", a story about the Vietnam War that Katie may remember from high school English. So, Chandlord and I ate a frozen pizza and split a bottle of wine, and then walked over to the event, since I basically live on campus.

We were approximately 12 minutes early, but we got there just as they ran out of seats. I thought that we were fine, but I forgot that the really popular events do fill up; the talks I've gone to at Stanford over the past few years have been related to medieval studies, which, as you might suspect, ain't so popular. So, we ended up not seeing it -- instead, we got coffee at the new Coupa Cafe (which has replaced Moonbeans, where we used to get coffee as students a decade ago), browsed through the Stanford bookstore, and then walked back to my place (taking a detour to swing on a tire swing). We would have gotten fine latenight cuisine (aka mozzarella sticks), but it was only 7:30pm, which wasn't exactly late.

So we got home, chatted over some herbal tea (which is really just herbal tea, not code for anything), and Chandlord decided to stay here rather than driving back to the evil city. So, we watched a tiny bit of "The Bachelor", then started watching episodes of Craig. Now, she's asleep on my couch and I should go to bed so that I can go to the gym tomorrow morning, and then write like the wind so that I can feel better about myself. Goodnight!

No comments: