Sunday, January 02, 2011

got that glitter on my eyes

As everything that I say on zee blog gets criticized while I'm at home, I don't even know where to start. I will attempt to stick to the facts, although we'll see what I get wrong -- fair enough?

My grandmother came over for Sunday brunch; she said it was the best brunch she had had in a very long time, which is rather funny considering that we had a v. similar brunch last week for Christmas. However, this was our usual Sunday brunch fare, replacing the Christmas breakfast casserole with fried eggs and fried potatoes, and adding ambrosia even though that is usually too much work for a typical Sunday feast. The potatoes were as good as always, my father fried my eggs over easy in bacon grease, and the ambrosia, blueberry muffins, and bacon were all delish as well.

While putting the finishing touches on brunch, we got to see a big show of the circle of life. First up were twenty or thirty deer charging across our property -- a large herd, even by our standards, particularly in the middle of the day. Then, it became clear why they were riled up -- between our house and the pond, a coyote streaked by with a hunting dog hot on his heels, with another hunting dog lagging behind on the chase. We later saw two more coyotes, although it was unclear whether they intended to help the first coyote or merely witness and laugh at his demise. I've seen coyotes before, but rarely in such exciting circumstances, and so brunch conversation was rather dull by comparison.

After brunch, I putzed around, talked to my mother and brother for awhile, and eventually got bored with their discussion of various business matters. So, I spent some quality time with my 2011 day planner figuring out what I've got coming up and how I might build more writing into my routine. With thoughts of productivity running high, I promptly came downstairs and took a combination bath/nap before eventually making my way back upstairs to fashion some more pelmini before the leftover meat filling goes bad. Supper consisted of delicious homemade chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes, with leftover chocolate meringue pie for dessert -- I just sort of feel ill with all the food I've eaten over the past couple of weeks, and while I'm not ready for my vacation to end, my arteries may weep with relief at the sight of my favorite salad at my gym's cafe later this week. But, I might as well go out on a high note, and as chicken and noodles are one of my favorites, I could hardly pass it up.

We finished the night by playing two games of hearts (I won the second one, barely, but it hardly counts in my mind because it was a total fluke), and then my brother and I watched Ace of Base videos (don't ask -- and don't turn around, for that matter). And now, I'm going to go to bed -- I'm having lunch with a high school friend tomorrow (shocking, I know), and I need to pack up my Christmas gifts to ship back to California. Goodnight!

No comments: